day time running lights not good enough

Frank

Hi all

I notice recently that a lot of cars are coming with daytime lights.

A massive improvement on the idiots that won't turn on lights unless it is pitch black.

My problems.

The rear lights don't light up at the same time.

In my opinion in the recent bad weather headlights should be on for visibility DRL's don't cut it.

The other issus is that some of them are bright enough to illuminate the road ahead of the car, so the driver carries on blissfully oblivious of the fact that they have no lights on at the back.

Hi all

I notice recently that a lot of cars are coming with daytime lights.

A massive improvement on the idiots that won't turn on lights unless it is pitch black.

My problems.

The rear lights don't light up at the same time.

In my opinion in the recent bad weather headlights should be on for visibility DRL's don't cut it.

Did you talk to Joe yet?
He will sort it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mUyy3KVsw

Seems a shame that what was an excellent safety idea came so close but not far enough.

The aversion people have to turning on lights at all in bad weather or at dusk is the Sure Sure Sure Joe issue.

I always turn my dipped headlights on when I start my car, no matter the time of day or time of year.

I think there's a law in some US states, if your wipers are on, your headlights must be on also. It's simple and easy to remember and a good idea. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being adopted here.

Does having your dimmed lights on affect the battery in any way while driving.

Well, obviously the power required to keep the lights on does not come from nowhere and does not come free. But with modern alternators, there is none to minimal impact on the battery unless you also have the demisters,heater fan/s, wipers, heated seats etc. all on and are in a traffic jam for ages.

Even then if all is working properly no impact will/should be noticeable, same goes for fuel consumption which is fundamentally where the power comes from in the first place.

Well, obviously the power required to keep the lights on does not come from nowhere and does not come free. But with modern alternators, there is none to minimal impact on the battery unless you also have the demisters,heater fan/s, wipers, heated seats etc. all on and are in a traffic jam for ages.

Even then if all is working properly no impact will/should be noticeable, same goes for fuel consumption which is fundamentally where the power comes from in the first place.

or, in summary; no. :)

Low power LED DLR lights have negligible effect, but even then, with a small petrol engine, DLR can result in a 1.6% increase in fuel consumption. That's to run the 2x5 to 10W LED forward facing lights only.

If you then move to 2x55W dipped headlights, plus the side lights and rear lights (up to 160W), the effect on fuel efficiency is obviously going to be greater.

Low power LED DLR lights have negligible effect, but even then, with a small petrol engine, DLR can result in a 1.6% increase in fuel consumption. That's to run the 2x5 to 10W LED forward facing lights only.

If you then move to 2x55W dipped headlights, plus the side lights and rear lights (up to 160W), the effect on fuel efficiency is obviously going to be greater.
Yes, but your driving style will have a much greater impact on consumption.
In practice I would challenge anyone to notice the difference.

Dimmed lights from now on in view of all the assurances. From my own experience I feel they are equally as important when the sun is shining as when the light is fading.

There were quite a few idiots this morning with no lights on in the darkness and fog.

Back