NIB - No longer getting text message alerts

Jiblet-run

Hi,

I'm a customer of NIB and have gotten text alerts (balances, withdrawals, deposits, etc) from them most mornings since their e-banking system was rolled out (when Danske took them over). It's a very useful feature and one of the reasons I continue to bank with them.

However recently I haven't been getting my text alerts any more. Maybe the odd one or two - and at different times of the day. Plus the message is incomplete. Same things is happening to other family members who bank with NIB.

Anyone experiencing this issue?
I'm going to contact them this evening / tomorrow morning but would like to hear if this is a wide spread issue and if anyone has some information on it?

Cheers,
JR

Rang NIB there.
First they've heard of it but are investigating and are to refer it to my branch.
If it was just my account then I'd agree that a setting on my account could have been switched off. But the fact several other family members are affected makes this unlikely....
Still I shall have a look at my account this evening.

well I suppose the nature of the alerts is that you don't know if you haven't received them! I think I may have a similar issue in that I'm pretty sure my main account is through its trigger level in the last couple of days.

Hi,
I have been having the same problem. I emailed them yesterday and got a reply saying that if your phone is switched off the alert tries for 10 mins to get through and if after 10 mins phone still not on, then the alert aborts..... a load of rubbish me thinks.....but that is what they said. I've been getting weekly alerts for months with the exception of the last 2 friday mornings.

Same problem for me. When I called them up they sent me a registration pack for text alerts. this is a new service where you text a keyword and they reply with balance information etc.

Its not the same thing as the eBanking auto texts. They said when I called it was unknown to them to be a widespread problem. I know one other customer with NIB and she has the same issue.

Had a look at my account and all the subscriptions to the text service looks fine.

I get my balance texted twice a week for my current account and my visa balance texted twice also on other days. I haven't been getting these regularly in the last 2 weeks and when some do come through - it's not at the usual time of 8am - instead in the afternoon and the text message is incomplete - ie. information is missing from it.

I also signed up to their new text service in the last 6 weeks or so - where you text a keyword to get your balance, etc...
I was told that signing up to this should not affect the other text service.

I'll wait till what my branch says when they call me tomorrow. Although it wouldn't surprise if they didn't. NIB might have the best e-banking system in Ireland (issue aside) but I've found their customer service to be poor more times than often.
Still I shall play the waiting game.....

O2 also.
Hmmm possibly a trend here.
AFAIK everyone in my family are on O2 that get the NIB texts.

NIB rang me today - they going to refer to Danske HQ on this.
I mentioned to them about this thread.

NIB got back to me. They confirmed that they've been sending the messages and I confirmed that I haven't received them. They suggested it was probably my network provider.
So off to O2.
First guy told me to turn off my phone and turn it back on again and wait 5 mins. No joy.
So I ran them again getting through to a different person. I explained the entire situation and that the Windows approach (switch off & switch on) didn't work.
So the tech team are going to put a track on my phone and try & resolve it.
This could take up to 3-4 days.
They suggested while I wait - to put my SIM card in another phone.
Or perhaps my SIM card needs to be upgraded.
I'll try the SIM in another phone and guess I'll have to wait till middle of next week for an answer and hopefully a solution.

NIB got back to me. They confirmed that they've been sending the messages and I confirmed that I haven't received them. They suggested it was probably my network provider.
So off to O2.
First guy told me to turn off my phone and turn it back on again and wait 5 mins. No joy.
So I ran them again getting through to a different person. I explained the entire situation and that the Windows approach (switch off & switch on) didn't work.
So the tech team are going to put a track on my phone and try & resolve it.
This could take up to 3-4 days.
They suggested while I wait - to put my SIM card in another phone.
Or perhaps my SIM card needs to be upgraded.
I'll try the SIM in another phone and guess I'll have to wait till middle of next week for an answer and hopefully a solution.

Hi Jiblet-run

Thanks for coming back with an update!

I also noticed on the O2 forums that there seems to be an SMS issue on the network.

Also, my mum uses the text service and stopped receiving them, this was a coincidence because she only switched to O2 a few days ago.

It seems to be a phone network issue, I hope O2 get this resolved. I think I will post a question on their forum too.

Sounds like its that sad excuse for a network O2's fault. I'm with them and not got a problem. I suspect that it is a combination of the 10minute thing and the ability of O2 to handle re-try on getting the message through - but the duty of care is against NIB, so while probably not their fault, its their problem!

same problem and have mailed customer services , didnt think it could be an o2 issue but that is my network, great service when it works and lost without it

Update - O2 have been very unhelpful and have washed their hands of this situation!!! Their technical team will NOT engage with NIB!!!

Rang NIB then. They will continue their investigation further and on my request have raised this matter to a higher level. Also we discovered the 50950 SMS service is not working also. Again I can only wait on a response from my Branch on this. At least NIB said they might engage with O2 on this.

I find it incredible that this issue continues to drag out over 3 weeks.
I would ask anyone who has this issue here to ring NIB and O2 and put pressure on them.

I asked O2 about this last week. They said they have no control of incoming messages.

I asked NIB and told them what O2 said. They are investigating this on their end.

I am unable to use the new text service 50950 - The strange thing is I am able to get a delivery report, but NIB dont seem to be able to send me back a reply.

I did get a message today off NIB which I usually get when a lodgment goes in. The lodgment was yesterday so in this case the message was delayed.

I wonder when this will be rectified. I hope soon.

I noticed this too. I am with vodafone.

Didn't get my usual text alert on Thurs (18th) in the morning when my pay goes into my account. Sent a balance text to 50950 and didn't get anything back. However just sent a balance text through and got a reply within about a minute, so hopefully the glitch os fixed.

Hi,
I have been having the same problem. I emailed them yesterday and got a reply saying that if your phone is switched off the alert tries for 10 mins to get through and if after 10 mins phone still not on, then the alert aborts..... a load of rubbish me thinks.....but that is what they said. I've been getting weekly alerts for months with the exception of the last 2 friday mornings.

I have the same problem on o2, and I got the same dodgy explanation from NIB, which I'm pretty sure is a pile of nonsense. When you send a text message, you just pass it over to SMS network. It is an asynchronous message - so it doesn't wait for a response from the recipient. It goes into the cloud, and then the cloud delivers it to the recipient - just like an email message. I'm amazed that a professional organisation allowed somebody to come out with this nonsense.

Back