House buyer wants LPT details from seller

shopgirl

Can a house purchaser ask for evidence that the house seller has paid their NPPR and their LPT? If so why would they need this information, surely those taxes are a matter for the house seller & the revenue. Thanks

The taxes are attached to the property so any purchaser is potentially liable if the taxes were not paid.
Standard practice for these receipts to be provided in any sale/purchase

Thanks. It would be really useful if a solicitor told a person these things at the outset!!!

Last edited:
Standard practice for these receipts to be provided in any sale/purchase

How do you get these receipts?
I don't get any.
The payment just comes out by DD.
I am in the process of selling a house, so when I am asked for this receipt, how do I get it?

[broken link removed]

You need your pps number, property id and pin.

You'll need to discharge the total amount due for 2014 and there will then be an apportionment between you and your buyer.

You should also read this link:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/guidelines-sale-transfer.pdf

If there is a significant disparity between your valuation for lpt and your sale price, you'll have to self correct.

In Dublin, I suspect Revenue are coining it with lots of self correction by vendors!

mf

I am in the process of selling a house, so when I am asked for this receipt, how do I get it?
Prior to a sale, the person selling the property (the vendor) must obtain the relevant clearance from Revenue to prove that there are no outstanding LPT issues. In most cases, clearance can be obtained by accessing the LPT online system.
To obtain general clearance log onto the LPT on-line system at www.revenue.ie using:

• The Property ID,
  • Property PIN and
  • Your PPSN or tax reference number.
  • You should select the Property History Screen to view the relevant LPT details which can be printed off and used to satisfy the purchaser that the property has no outstanding LPT issues.

Hi Newedition. If you don't have your property id & pin (if you shredded it in a spate of tidying up like I did) you can get it straight away by telephoning 1890200255 - they were very helpful. If the house you are selling is not your principal residence you will also have to furnish proof of NPPR tax payment.

If there is a significant disparity between your valuation for lpt and your sale price, you'll have to self correct.

In Dublin, I suspect Revenue are coining it with lots of self correction by vendors!

mf

Just wondering about this. Initial LPT self-valuations were supposed to be valid to 2016. With prices going up at the moment, why would you have to correct this if it was ok at the time of original valuation?

Hi dub nerd

Revenue have done a very good piece on this - see this link

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/guidelines-sale-transfer.pdf

Two examples of what I'm seeing:

1. Property put in 100-150k bracket in 2013 selling for 195K now - this is acceptable. Parties can assume automatic clearance.

2. Property put in 350-400 bracket in 2013 now selling for 565 - no chance! Vendor will try to chance their arm - Purchaser will say no chance, buddy. Especially when something similar sold for 525K in late 2013. Revenue are inviting Vendors to "consider if their valuation was reasonable". And looking for something verifying that.

I'm aware also that on my road - a long mixed road - many people have taken a very conservative ( read "low") view. There were sufficient sales on the Property Price Register to give an average - anyone who went with that will be fine. Any lower- and especially, much lower, may find themselves explaining themselves to Revenue.

mf

Back