Best diesel saloon car for two car seats and bootsize

laois1

Hi all. Am thinking of changing car. Want a diesel or even hybrid saloon car that will accommodate 2 child car seats plus an adult if possible in the back with a large boot. Don't like SUVs. Anyone got any recommendations. It's very difficult to get an adult to access the middle seat in the back of 2 child seats, what car has the most room for this access. Totally clueless when it comes to child seats as previous car was a 2 door. ? Many thanks

Skoda Octavia. Drove an Avensis for seven years before it and didn't like it half as much.

I have a 2007 Toyota Avensis and the back seat fits 2 car seats and a smallish adult easily.
I have the estate so the boot is enormous.

bmw 3 series...have fit three full carseats in back...have looked around and have bought three booster seats without the arms things and so even space between the three booster seats...

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I don't like people carriers etc and want to stick to a diesel 2 l or less so will check out the models above.

Skoda Superb. Back seat big enough to have a party in.
Some of the entry level ones can be a bit under-powered though.

If you're carrying two kids and want safety, roominess & efficiency check out the BMW 520d as the 3 Series is too small. Around town, the automatic will do 1000Km between fill ups for €95. The auto is far nicer to drive and is worth more second-hand. It's also safer as you've less to worry about as you steer and keep an eye on the kids.

You should also take note: Safety stars from Euro NCAP are awarded to cars in different segments from small cars to executive. A 5 Star small car is not as safe as a 5 Star Executive car. An Avensis is not an executive car and will not offer the same protection as a BMW 5 Series. Nor, is it a fair comparison as the BMW is far more expensive.

However, you can buy the last model (E60) second-hand and get all the benefits. If you try hard enough you'll find the current shape (F10) for €25k

If you want to get adults & two child seats in the back simultaneously a saloon is out. You could get an Estate though with a third row of seats. Beyond that, you are looking at SUV and probably Hyundai Santa Fe. Kia will have something too. Have a look at Ford S-Max. Not an SUV nor a saloon. People carrier but nice enough.

Ask to see a vehicle with "Captains Chairs". This is where the second row seats are identical to the front ones -separate and with a large gap between them. The gap allows people easily access the third row of seats. A 7-seater. Very luxurious.

Citroen C5 the new shape one from 2008 onwards, we have a 2L diesel one excellent car very safe and pleasure to drive plenty of room in the back and up front

You should also have a look at the 5 door Ford Mondeo (2008 model on), in the diesel model. Great car, loads of room in the back seat and the boot is very spacious... With this, I'd recommend the 1.8 tdi up - think anything lower in engine size doesn't suit the body size of the car...

Also, Skoda Superb is another big car - well worth the look, but again, look for the bigger engine.

If you are having a look at cars, then bring your kids car seats & pop them into the car to gauge space. I've done that in the past (at main dealers - not private sales).

You should also have a look at the 5 door Ford Mondeo (2008 model on), in the diesel model. Great car, loads of room in the back seat and the boot is very spacious... With this, I'd recommend the 1.8 tdi up - think anything lower in engine size doesn't suit the body size of the car...

Also, Skoda Superb is another big car - well worth the look, but again, look for the bigger engine.

If you are having a look at cars, then bring your kids car seats & pop them into the car to gauge space. I've done that in the past (at main dealers - not private sales).
Good advice.
I've driven the 5 series, the Mondeo and the Aventis. The first 2 are very good cars. The Aventis is a boring to drive as watching paint dry.
The best car I've driven of that size that isn't silly money is the new Mazda 6. It's better than the new 5 series. I'm a big BMW fan but the Mazda is just amazingly good.
I've only driven the Superb once and it's very nice, if just a little dull. Still a great car.
If value for money is the main criteria I'd look at the Mondeo. If it isn't then get the new Mazda 6. If you've loads of cash get a jaguar XF :)

Back