Motor Motor Insurance Renewal - what is the correct answer to the claims question ?

MrEarl

Hello,

If you have a motor policy which provides fully comp insurance cover and has full bonus protection on your no claims (full protection, not step back protection) and then you have to make a claim because your car is broken into ... do you subsequently have to declare this as a claim made, when seeking a quote for renewal from another insurance company (or is it considered not to be a claim, given you had full no claims protection and as such, it should not have an impact on your insurance quote) ?

Many thanks

do you subsequently have to declare this as a claim made, when seeking a quote for renewal from another insurance company (or is it considered not to be a claim, given you had full no claims protection and as such, it should not have an impact on your insurance quote) ?

Will be interested in the answer to your query here - as have been in this situation twice and from what I could gather then, you have to declare it...which means effectively you have no choice but to take the quote that your existing insurance company gives you.

Having said that, I have to give credit to my own insurance co. as they still presented with in or around the best quote (i checked quotes from other insurers on the basis of no claim and compared..).

Notwithstanding that, if this is actually the case, then someone needs to step in and fix it.

Hello,

If you have a motor policy which provides fully comp insurance cover and has full bonus protection on your no claims (full protection, not step back protection) and then you have to make a claim because your car is broken into ... do you subsequently have to declare this as a claim made, when seeking a quote for renewal from another insurance company (or is it considered not to be a claim, given you had full no claims protection and as such, it should not have an impact on your insurance quote) ?

Many thanks

And if you have claimed for FREE windscreen repair which is a feature of many insurance policies are you legally obliged to declare that as well

All claims must be declared, including glass repair. IME glass repair resulting from a stone thrown up by a lorry had no effect on quotes from other insurers. Glass repair resulting from attempted theft of the vehicle or of items from it may be treated differently.

Hello,

Thank you all for your comments.

Doesn't this effectively mean that even though I have been paying for full bonus protection, it is actually only related to my insurance policy with my current insurer - who in effect, can hike their prices up each year, but then when I try to move to a cheaper provider, they mess it up for me by pointing out that I have had claims (despite having "insured" against them, with bonus protection).

Hardly in the spirit of protecting your no claims bonus.

That is exactly it. Protected NCB is a sham. It is effectively handcuffs you to your existing insurer for 5 years.

Other companies do not recognise another companies protected NCB.

The questions when moving insurer can be very vague. Some insurers ask 'Have you made any claims.....?'. If you've had an accident and had a large claim made against you, you can legitimately answer 'No' to this question.

What happens when accident occurs in period between the renewal notice (with proof of NCB) being sent out and the policy expiry date?

@peteb: Please do list - as it would be interesting - particularly for all of those who have utilised rollback as effectively these are the only companies that these people can choose between when renewing.

ARB - allow it but will reduce their own bonus protection as a result to one claim in 3 years
AXA - will allow it. But will not allow bonus protection on new policy
Allianz will allow ncb prior to claim but only if the bonus prior was 5yr+. Bonus protection must be included in the Allianz quote
Kennco - Step bonus back by 2yrs or allow bonus from last Insurer
Wrightway - allow it
Zurich - allow it.

Not a load. But a few. And don't forget, in some instances insurers may not penalise if the claim was fire or theft.

Back