Salary of 35k Gross has been approved for a 280k mortgage

Kerrigan

I origionaly posted this question in the wrong forum.

My son has been approved for 280k mortgage. He is a sole purchaser. The property is based in West Dublin. I am not overly happy with the purchase as I think it is too large a mortgage for somebody on my sons salary.

What are your thoughts please?

I thought so too. The repayments are over a 30yr period.

I am not a happy camper and have told him so. Whether he listens is anyones guess.

I dont think that is sustainable either. It is mad to give him that much money. It seems like their was no stress tests done. Maybe you should report the bank in question to the financial regulator..

What I find amazing is that any bank is lending that kind of money at the moment, unless we're all being fooled by the reports in the media that neither potential home-owners or small businesses can get any kind of a loan. Did your son have a large deposit towards the house, was the price he paid the current market rate, is he in a 'secure' job - loads of questions here for any lender.

What I find amazing is that any bank is lending that kind of money at the moment
+1 - I thought they had gone to the other extreme.....??

@ OP: Please direct him to this thread. In addition to this thread - direct him to the numerous 'money makeover' threads - showing the debt-ridden hell many people have found themselves in post-boom.

I am meeting up with him tomorrow so I will update this thread with more details. He has a deposit of 30k. The house is in a west Dublin suburb. Price also seems uber expensive. He is also self employed.

What are your thoughts please?

On a gross salary of €35K, your son probably takes home around €2325 monthly, his monthly repayments on this mortgage @ 4% over 30 years would be €1337, and @ 6% repayments would be €1679 monthly.

Maybe he doesn’t need a car, private health insurance or pension, social life or holidays but from what’s left of his take home pay he will definitely have to pay for mortgage protection, insure and maintain the house, pay the utility bills, mobile, household charge, food, clothes, medical, dental, travel costs, and I’m sure lots of other miscellaneous expenses.

Even allowing for a lodger it’s a wild and irresponsible amount to lend on that income.

There is something not right about all of this. I am totally surprised at this multiple as I would imagine the Financial Regulator would be. There has to be some mistake somewhere. Will he give you all the paperwork details when you are talking to him. They are giving almost 93% of the purchase price and 8 times his salary over 30 years at what rate. The rates will go up in the medium time. What is it valued at?. This will certainly end in disaster for all concerned if it is allowed. I still cannot believe it and I have more than a passing interest in property. Good luck to you when talking to your son

Myself and my partner are in the middle of purchasing a house, combined gross income €44k. The most the bank would give us was €110k. We had 20k in savings so I find it hard to believe he has actually being approved for that.

When I was shopping around a broker told us we would get a mortgage for between 180k & 200k no problem with the same bank which offered us the €110k.

Myself and my partner are in the middle of purchasing a house, combined gross income €44k. The most the bank would give us was €110k. We had 20k in savings so I find it hard to believe he has actually being approved for that.

That sounds more familiar of what has been posted up here in more recent times. Can the OP divulge the particular bank that's offering this?

Is your son a doctor? A doctor on a modest salary at the start of his career was able to get a huge mortgage with little or no deposit in the crazy boom years, because banks expected doctors' salaries to go up a lot. Even then, 8 times gross salary was a push, but now it seems incredible.

Why is he taking such a huge mortgage, it must be possible to get a house for a lot less than that now, without putting himself at risk of financial ruin in not too distant future.

There is something not right about all of this. I am totally surprised at this multiple as I would imagine the Financial Regulator would be. There has to be some mistake somewhere. Will he give you all the paperwork details when you are talking to him. They are giving almost 93% of the purchase price and 8 times his salary over 30 years at what rate. The rates will go up in the medium time. What is it valued at?. This will certainly end in disaster for all concerned if it is allowed. I still cannot believe it and I have more than a passing interest in property. Good luck to you when talking to your son

That really only leaves AIB as all the others have been lowering the percentages they will lend out.
Still at 8 times gross there is either something the lender knows that we don't, or they are trying to approve stupidly large mortgages to hit their targets. That amount of mortgage lending they promises was based on approvals, not drawdowns.

That really only leaves AIB as all the others have been lowering the percentages they will lend out.
Still at 8 times gross there is either something the lender knows that we don't, or they are trying to approve stupidly large mortgages to hit their targets. That amount of mortgage lending they promises was based on approvals, not drawdowns.

I would be amazed if it was AIB. I got a mortgage with them last year and had to jump through near-impossible hoops.

I would be amazed if it was AIB. I got a mortgage with them last year and had to jump through near-impossible hoops.

In the past, AIB have lend much lower multiples of salaries than other lenders.

I hadn't heard that they had relaxed these criteria.

I suspect that the son might not be telling his mother/father the full story.

Getting approval and actually drawing down are very different things these days. Once your wages and expenses fall inbetween certain numbers, it seems easy enough to get the approval, then when you go to draw down they start looking for 3 months accounts, explanations of what transaction X is, where this transfer into the saving account came from, etc.

+1

I cannot imagine any bank lending this sort of money in todays day and age. Something seriously wrong here. With out sounding like a snob are you sure there are houses in west Dublin fetching that kind of money today?

You asked in a previous thread what Palmerstown was like, so I'm presuming your son is looking to buy there??? This does not seem like a sensible deal.

During the crazy years of the suppossed boom, myself and the other half had a combined income that was less than what our son is taking home now. We were offered a mortgage a lot greater than 280k. It was the biggest mistake of our lives, we are indebted and in multiples of thousands of Euro of negative equity. Discourage him before he makes the same stupid decision we did.

In the past, AIB have lend much lower multiples of salaries than other lenders.

I hadn't heard that they had relaxed these criteria.

I suspect that the son might not be telling his mother/father the full story.

+1

I imagine if he is getting that kind of mortgage he must be earning more than 35K

If your son has the nerve and the bank the willingness to lend for this house it might be the best purchase of his life.
Ie. The bank mustn't see the price dropping in the near to medium future. He would also be buying into a rising market. Your son could be looking at positive equitiy in the next couple of years if not immediately.

On the other side of the equation I wonder if the bank in question have any financial stake in the house.? They could be the developer's banker for example or be the seller's banker.

Back