Where to buy a holiday home.

Mhaire

I would love to return to Ireland but can't because of commitments to my son and young grandchildren. However, my mother is ailing and is now reluctant to travel to England and America to see us, her children.
We've been renting holiday homes in Ireland for some years as she doesn't have space for us in her apartment. This is a very expensive option.

I am now considering buying a holiday home so that we have a base in Ireland. This would need to be something that is also suitable for winter and possible as a permanent home in the future. I am drawn to Galway and Donegal. I would love something scenic and near the coast, someplace my young grandchildren (2 and 5) would love to visit, but not too isolated, not too far from the airport. I really don't want to be near caravan parks. Although I know that they help make the coast accessible to so many people, I just feel that they make the area so desolate looking and abandoned in winter.

Any ideas to help me short list some areas would be very welcome.

My lotto win place is [broken link removed] which is within walking distance from the airport and in an absolutely beautiful spot with a local blue flag beach in Donegal. Surfing, fishing and golfing not too far away.

Many people think that keeping a holiday home is the ideal solution but when things settle down and they make only a few visits a year it can turn out to be a very expensive route to take. When you take heating on a daily basis, electricity, water rates, property taxes and maintenance into account it would probably be a lot cheaper to rent. If you definitely make it a permanent home in the future then that's a different story.

It is very expensive running a home that you will only be going to a few times a year but if your mind is make up here is where I would go for.

Have a look at west Clare. Surfing, fishing, golfing just to name a few activities to do. Very scenic with easy access to shannon airport. I am originally from this area.(lahinch) Is it is very quiet in winter but a great place the rest of the year.
Lots of places to eat out.

Just a thought...campervan...we bought one last feb and brillant.,.get one under 3.5ton so regular licence covers you..storage facilities available to rent if no space at ur mums...complete freedom we used brought out to scotland...not a penny on accommodation.....

Back