Home How to become a Loss Assessor

ryanline79

I'm wondering does anyone know how to register as a loss assessor? So far it seems you have to register as an insurance intermediary? Has anyone gone through the process that could give me so pointers on it? PM me if you don't want to share on an open forum. I was hoping to be based out of the North Tipp / Limerick area and it is only to be a part of a quantity surveying practice I am setting up.

Hi i have gone through the process which is a bit of a joke to be honest given the severe lack of actual regulation at the end of it. You fill in the form form and send it along with pi insurance cert, garda clearance and then you have to complete an online individual form and after a month or so you get on the list. There are fees of about €800 per year in three parts but it depends on your turnover and you really need to be getting a decent level of work yo justify it

Have you experience? Have you considered joining one of the established firms?

Ya I do, 12 years in the construction industry- I guess the main reason I'm considering it is to be my own boss and (within reason) work the hours that I want to work. Unfortunately I don't think it would be in any of the established firms interest to take me on as a sub-contractor as eventually they probably correctly anticipate that I may go out and compete against them.

Thanks Kkelliher - I appreciate the reply. I'll get working at my garda clearance so.

As far as I am aware, you will also have to meet the minimum competency requirement. Most existing established Loss assessors qualified via the grand father rule but I do believe that this is no longer possible. The minimum competency requires I think three exams and to apply for and sit these does not come cheap.

Good point i had done the exams in a previous life so it wasnt an issue for me. I had to do 6 from memory and they were about 500 quid each plus annual.membership of the irish insurance institute. As i said previously unless you have access to alot of work in the area it really is hard to justify the costs and also assessors are ten a penny in most areas and alot of them have monopolies in certain areas

Back