Mortgage application query

L

lainypops

Hi there,

Myself and my partner have found the perfect house for us and our son but our situation is a little complicated.

He has been separated (without any legal separation agreement in place) 3 years and will be divorcing in year 4. Because of this, we are hesitant to apply for a mortgage together and are wondering if I could apply on my own.

The asking price on the house is 120,000 and together we would have a 10% deposit
I am a first time buyer, permanently employed and earn E30,000 pa. I have a good credit record but I currently have a car loan of 7000. I know the logical thing to do would be to clear the car loan but at the moment that is not possible.

Would I stand any chance of getting a mortgage of 108,000?

A lot will depend on how secure your job is. I agree that it may be better to apply by yourself considering the complicated nature of your partner's marital status, although I dont know how exactly it would affect your application. What I will say is be careful if you apply solely. While in an ideal world everything works out in love and life, you dont want to be left with a mortgage on your own, in negative equity. However 120k purchase price sounds reasonable in most areas nowadays and 108k will make a fairly manageable mortgage in most circumstances. Remember you may also need a few euro to furnish the place also. I found EBS helpful when applying for a mortgage, and I might add that I am in no way connected to them or have any vested interest.

Back