JSB-being taxed by mistake!

guideanna

Hi all,

I have got my P21 for 2013 and see i owe tax on my JSB received.

I was put from full time 5 days to 3 days a week on a "Temporary" basis at the end of 2012.
I got this in writing from my employer and brought it into the local social welfare office to sign myself up for the JSB.

Now i'm being told that i am on their system as a "Casual worker" and that my JSB is taxable.
I am not a casual worker though.

I am waiting for the local deciding officer to check my file for the letter from my employer but can anyone enlighten me as to why this would happen and if i am correct in thinking i should not have been taxed for my JSB.

My local office telling me to ring the head office for the county, and then vice versa because none of them seem to know the answer....is this a bit of a gray area?

I received JSB for over a year and was then means tested and put onto JSA.
Now after looking for info on the revenue website i see it says i should only have got the JSB for 9 months? Was i supposed to keep track of this myself?

I hate dealing with revenue....why does it always have to be such a complicated ordeal!

This has nowt to do with Revenue - if they're taxing it it's because DSP have told them its taxable JSB. You need to get DSP to agree its not taxable (see my 2nd link above) and then present that confirmation to Revenue and they'll fix your assessment. In the meantime you should appeal your tax assessment, explaining your grounds as being that the JSB wasn't taxable income.

Thanks Mandlebrot,
i'll do that if i get no joy from the one i have to ring tomorrow in SW.

Back