Reducing size of digital photos

round1

I want to reduce size of picture files to send as email.

Seems to be a lot of free software out there to do this but can anyone
recommend one especially to do batches of files.

I have Windows XP and can reduce file size by right clicking but can only
manage to reduce size and send pictures one at a time.

I use irfanview for this type of thing, very handy little program.
I don't know if it is possible to do batches of files though

Nicola

Another option is use a picture sharing site like pix.ie or flickr.com
You then only need to e-mail a hyperlink.
pix.ie allows the viewer to choose different sizes to download/view (depending on what was uploaded)

If you select all the files you want to send and right-click on them and select 'Send To'->'Mail Recipient' XP should prompt you to reduce the size of all the images selected - does it not do this?

Imagemagick provides a powerful command line interface that can be scripted to manipulate multiple images.

if you have microsoft office then go into your program list and then microsoft office, microsoft office tools and microsoft office picture manager should be in there. Allows you to compress picture by going to picture - compress picture

I use irfanview for this type of thing, very handy little program.
I don't know if it is possible to do batches of files though

Nicola

Irfanview does indeed have a Batch Conversion that allows multiple files to be converted and resized if necessary. Great piece of software. The Batch menu can be found under the File menu path.

I use JpegSizer - you can select a whole folder at a time.
There's a free 15 day trial and its also very cheap to purchase.
Has options for every size of photo you could possible require.

If you are using Outlook to send the images you get an option to reduce the size of the images you are sending (a screen prompt comes up asking to resize or send original size) - very handy if the only reason you need to resize is to send by email.

Back