Annual NCT for cars > 10 year old

monagt

The NCT for cars over 10 years was being changed to Yearly rather than 2 years (as on cars >4 & <10)

A newspaper then reported that they would not be able to cope with the volume of work and they were deciding not to proceed with every year.

Does anyone know exactly where we are on this as NCT say they are proceeding with yearly?

The NCT for cars over 10 years was being changed to Yearly rather than 2 years (as on cars >4 & <10)

A newspaper then reported that they would not be able to cope with the volume of work and they were deciding not to proceed with every year.

Does anyone know exactly where we are on this as NCT say they are proceeding with yearly?

It was changed a couple of years ago to annual tests for cars over 10 years, what paper?

I failed my annual test yesterday, must say the service was very good (pity about the result) but I was in and out very quickly.

he proposal wasto do annual tests on cars over 6 years - that has been shelved.
Th annual test on cars over 10 remains as it was - there were no plans to change that.

I must be getting mixed up on the 6 year proposal. :()

Called today to make a booking in Cork and was told I would be out on a waiting list until June 18 as all centers were fully booked.

My NCT is up in a few weeks, I booked online for Deansgrange in Dublin on March 27th and was able to get an appointment yesterday at more or less a time of my choosing. Strange it's so much worse in Cork. Did you try online?

This is an interesting thread for me. 2 weeks ago I both checked on the NCT website and called regarding booking an NCT in Waterford. There was none available until the end of september. Then I checked Enniscorthy and Kilkenny with the same result. Ultimately I was put on a waiting list for a specific date of my choosing in Waterford. I have 3 questions:
- Regarding Sahd's posting of the 4 week period, does this commence on the date I was put on the waiting list or does it commence on the specific date I'm on the waiting list for?
- Why is there such a long wait time - in this case almost 3 months?
- In case of say an accident what happens to Insurance? I could be driving without an NCT due to no fault of my own - other than I should have booked it at least 4 months in advance, but I didn't know this until now.

Any comments/information would be appreciated.

I think one of the reasons for the delays in getting an appointment is the amount of cars that are having to be retested.
I drive a taxi and have a yearly test. The last time I had my test there were about 10 people in the centre with me and of the ten cars there only 3 passed the test.
I always got my car serviced prior to the nct but on two occasions the car failed despite having a full service.
So basically I think drivers are using the nct to see what needs to be done if anything and then get these matters fixed before doing a retest.
Even looking at cars for sale on many of the internet sites, a lot of them are being sold with no nct or its out of date - a clear indication that these people have no intention of spending money on a car they are trying to get rid of.

I always got my car serviced prior to the nct but on two occasions the car failed despite having a full service.
So basically I think drivers are using the nct to see what needs to be done if anything and then get these matters fixed before doing a retest.

Which is the right approach imo.

Back