Suggestions for where to host a site?

Toby

Just wondering if anyone can suggest where I should go to have a website hosted inexpensively, it will be a fairly basic site but I'd like to include an email signup option on it. Thanks

Am I allowed to suggest somewhere NOT to go to? If so register365 I have had an absolute nightmare experience with them over recent weeks. Their customer support kept telling me different stories and in the end still have not solved the problem (I bought a joint hosting/domain name package and they have had problems linking the domain name to the hosting and they processed the order as two accounts not one pretty simple stuff there!) On the other hand letshost.ie and blacknight are both excellent. Prices are very competitive at the moment but I believe blacknight offers a better deal for basic sites

(no affiliation with blacknight just based on experience)

Host it somewhere outside the EU. I recommend godaddy.com which is based in the USA and is very competitive compared to what the companies on this side of the pond charge.

I would also reccomend Blacknight and I would advise strongly against GoDaddy. I hosted a number of sites with them and didn't have a good experience - they were cheap but not good value.

We use Global Gold in the UK for Askaboutmoney. They are expensive but they are excellent and have a speciality in supporting vBulletin , the software we use on Askaboutmoney.

I also use Blacknight for two other much simpler sites and they really are excellent in terms of service, including telephone support. I would highly recommend them.

Register 365 and Hosting 365 are two different companies. Hosting 365 sold it's domain registration business some years ago to Register 365. We had askaboutmoney hosted with them, but it didn't suit me as a non-technical person as problems were difficult to solve.

I have sites hosted with a US provider.

Much cheaper and very reliable.

I've had sites hosted with Let's Host and have had difficulty with them.

I would recommend freeola.com.They offer free hosting cheap Domain name registration etc.No connection

Hadn't even thought about suggesting a non Irish company but the best one I do use better than the two Irish ones i mentioned is called Blue Host. So easy I have only had a problem once and that was all my own doing and they have live support so you just chat to them in there so no need for waiting for emails or spending loads of phonecalls definitely the best.

My brother has a number of sites and he swears by Blacknight. He is actually here at the moment and he said that they are "very very helpful".

...and he swears by Blacknight.
Another big +1 for Blacknight. Competitive pricing and superb customer service (check out their activity on their own forums, boards.ie or twitter/facebook to see first hand the level of customer service they offer).

You should be aware that depending on your specific situation (e.g. if you have a gTLD and looking to target a specific geolocation), then the geolocation of your hosting does play a part in terms of search engine optimisation (if you've got a '.ie' ccTLD this isn't an issue, nor does it mean you can't rank well with a gTLD outside of the area... it's just not helping).

I use Web World for the sites I run. Never had a problem with them and very helpful and quick to respond with any problems. Irish too.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Back