Key Post: Razor blades - shaving.

S

sueellen

Have you noticed how EXPENSIVE razor blades are now especially Gillette. Can you order them and other products directly. Would be worth buying in bulk I think.

Re: Gillette Razor blades......

If you're in Dublin you can buy them on the stalls on Thomas St. Much cheaper.

Re: Gillette Razor blades......

Sometimes Amazon.com do bulk buy discounts on these.

Mach 3 blades

I bough 48 of these through e-bay. Cost me $53 (€44 approx) including delivery. They were delivered about 1 week after I paid for them.

This works out at about €4 for a pack of 4 compared to about €8 in the supermarket.

Give it a try!

razor blades

If you don't insist on the brand name than try LIDL.

Lidl Blades???

Idiced my chin into 66 pieces with those!!!!!!!!!!

Gillette

I asked the assistant in Tesco for a pack of mach 3 blades last Sunday week. She went to the scanner, flipped them through and asked me for nearly €19 for them. I queried the amount and she just said that was the price, then I noticed that they were marked march 3 turbo, whatever that means. Naturally they were out of stock of 'regular' mach 3 blades. So I just left without buying. So the future looks even bleaker than the present on the price front. looks like we'll have to toy with growing beards for the winter months and just shave during the summer. or go back to the philishave.

Gillette Blades

I sometimes accidentally leave them in the bottom of the shopping trolly and forget to put them on the conveyor.......they are so small, an easy mistake to make. Extortion is the only word I can use to describe the Gillette Company.

Re: Gillette Blades

Time to dig out the auld electric and charge up the batteries then, eh?

X

> I sometimes accidentally leave them in the bottom of the shopping trolly and forget to put them on the conveyor.......they are so small, an easy mistake to make. Extortion is the only word I can use to describe the Gillette Company.

So theft (from the retailer and not the manufacturer mind you) is your solution to this so called extortion? Maybe they'd be cheaper if shoplifters such as yourself controlled your kleptomaniac tendancies? (Razor blades are by far the most commonly shoplifted retail product in Europe). Roll on RFID tagging of such small relatively high value retail products as a measure to catch thieves like you.

Rip Off Retailers

Hi X

You aren't by any chance a retailer are you ? I have the same contempt for much of the retail community in this country as i do for the Gillette Corporation. Having recently returned from living in the UK, where there is a genuine free market, not distorted by govt backed retail pricing and planning regulations, I think it's time consumers in this country took a stand against rip off retailers. Lets face it, one only has to visit Tesco.ie and then Tesco.co.uk to see the rip off in all its glory. Small independents are equally being allowed to take advantage of the poor punter, so long as the govt insists on protecting the innefficient, this will continue.

As for the theft of the blades, I can say its a tactic I gave up when I left college and started earning, and as my wife refuses to engage in the practice on my behalf at the weekly shop, I'm now a fully paid up member of rip off Ireland.

X

Not that it's any of your business but no, I'm not a retailer. I don't know what sort of regulation/market interference that you're referring to but the only thing that I can think of is the Groceries Order which prevents below cost selling of certain food items and doesn't affect the price of things such as razor blades as far as I know. If you don't like the prices then buy another brand or shop around (including online). By all means make a (legal) stand against any real or perceived wrongdoing by manufacturers or retailers but don't cop out by blaming it all on "rip off Ireland" whatever that means. If the price of razor blades really annoys you that much then perhaps you should consider growing a beard in protest? That'll show them.

Re: Rip Off Retailers

"and as my wife refuses to engage in the practice on my behalf at the weekly shop"

Does that imply that you've asked her...that you'd put her reputation of being branded a shoplifter at risk for free razor blades!?????

Blades

sometimes accidentally leave them in the bottom of the shopping trolly

This happens me occasionaly but only after I have paid.

There was a thread here a few months back which discussed (among other things) how to extend the life of your blades. Store them in baby oil was one suggestion.

ajapale

Blades

X, I tried the beard thing, but as half of it was ginger, decided it had to go, the two tone thing didn't really work for me( and before you start on a rant, I'm not a gingerist, my daughter is a ginger ). On the anti competitive thing, my main beef is the planning restrictions on superstores, or for that matter, any serious attempts at out of town retailing. In particular, this is restricitng the growth of value retailers such as Aldi and Lidl, but perhaps more importantly it is keeping major grocery competition such as Asda Wal Mart, J Sainsbury and others out of the market. Also, in non food, it is restricting consumer choice by keeping the likes of IKEA out.

Piggy, my wife is and never has been a criminal, and no I haven't asked her to thieve blades........a half hearted attempt at humour which obviiosuly missed the mark.

Retired blade thief, Niallymac

p.s. I wonder why blades are the most thieved item in Europe ...........mmmmm......interesting

Re: Blades

"I wonder why blades are the most thieved item in Europe ...........mmmmm......interesting"

Probably because some people think they're over-priced and think it's okay to steal things which are out of their price range at a guess.

X

> p.s. I wonder why blades are the most thieved item in Europe ...........mmmmm......interesting

Not sure why, although there's an element of chicken (theft) and egg (price) here I suppose, but this article about RFID technology mentions that razors are Europe's "most stolen consumer product".

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3632015.stm

Re: X

I wonder why blades are the most thieved item in Europe ...........mmmmm......interesting"

..probably as they are poor value for money ie. one has to fork out €8 or so for something that they will discard shortly afterwards.

Have tried the Lidl blades & must agree with prev poster!. Damn things near shredded my face - even when I used the Total Shaving Solution!

ninsaga

X

Have used Lidl and Aldi blades with no problems and I'm not any sort of macho man or masochist either. Never found that shaving oil stuff much good though and generally stick to Body Shop shaving soap and a traditional bristle brush.

Re: X

When I was in Budapest I bought 50 Mach 3 Turbo blades at 50 cents each. Its a ripoff buying them in Ireland. When mine run out I can get them online for 80 cents each.

Back