VRT on vehicle

Sadee13

Hi,

My husband bought a motorbike at the weekend. The motorbike had been brought over from Poland approx 2 years ago and was never registered in Ireland. The bike has apparently being left in a shed & never driven. My husband now wants to pay the VRT on this but we no wonder is he liable to pay for the time the motorbike was brought over to Ireland or just from the day he bought it.

Thanks.

I think Sadee point is that as the bike has been here 2 years the VRT and should have been paid then. Therefore they could look at the year of the bike as being 2 years younger. ie the age it was 2 years ago.

In practice this is not enforced. If you have a receipt for the purchase of the bike at dated last weekend. Who in the VRT office knows when it arrived in Ireland.

I think Sadee point is that as the bike has been here 2 years the VRT and should have been paid then. Therefore they could look at the year of the bike as being 2 years younger. ie the age it was 2 years ago.

In practice this is not enforced. If you have a receipt for the purchase of the bike at dated last weekend. Who in the VRT office knows when it arrived in Ireland.

This may apply in cars, where the purchase date may be relevant. But with motorbikes, the age is the age of first registration in any country, i.e. when the bke was made. Where it has resided since then is not relevant to the calculation.

You are correct, in that it should have been declared when first brought into Ireland, by the owner at the time, but that isn't the OPs problem.

Back