Copy emails to hard drive

Ned_ie

Hi all

I am leaving work today and need to copy some emails on my personal folders to my hard drive (and ultimately to a USB stick).

Can anyone tell me how to do it? I am using Outlook. I have tired the import export but that won't work. If i use "file" "Save As" that works but only on individual emails not on a block of them. I have about 500 that need to be copied.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

Choose file, archive. Give it a name, specify the folders you want to backup. You can save it directly to the usb drive

rkeane
When I do that it saves as a PST file that I can't open?

Clubman
The import export only saves as a pst file also so I can't open it either

Ned_ie said:
rkeane
When I do that it saves as a PST file that I can't open?

Clubman
The import export only saves as a pst file also so I can't open it either
you open it in outlook.

Do you not get options to save in other formats (e.g. CSV etc.)? I get 7 different target file type options when exporting in Outlook 2003.

yes. but when I save as CSV it seems to open in excel with just the header details and not the message itself.

Ned_ie said:
yes. but when I save as CSV it seems to open in excel with just the header details and not the message itself.
Try opening it in a text editor. All the details should be there. However attachments might not be handed by this. Chances are PST is the best way to go as described above.

Well folks thanks for your help. All transferred accross now to new job and emails came with me as a pst. They use outlook here so it worked perfectly.

Thanks again

On a non technical note are you sure that copying emails which may be the property of your old employer is legitimate?!

Back