Motor Implications of parking car on road, no insurance

Boyd

Is it legal to park a car that does not have any insurance on the side of the road? What are the implications if somebody hits it, would they be able to sue the owner even if it was their fault? Obviously if its broken into or anything like that the owner of the car would be down cash since they dont have insurance to claim against, but where there is a 3rd party involved?

thanks

You don't need insurance but it must have an in-date tax disc on display.

I can't think of any situation where it could be your fault for someone hitting it once it is parked legally.

A car in a public place, whether its parked or moving must have current insurance. Move it to private property or risk being prosecuted and / or sued if someone runs into it.

I think mathepac is right. Besides, how can you get in on to a public road without moving it?

What if a pedestrian, a cyclist or a child injures themselves by falling against the car or colliding with it? Insurance is not just to protect other motorists or the driver of the car.

BTW, parking in a public place with no current insurance certificate displayed is an offence which can result in points on your licence if you are prosecuted.

Does anyone actually have a doc/link to clarify this?

@ Padraigb
I had insurance on it when I moved it onto the road, then changed the insurance off it onto another car.....I dont have space to park it in apartment block at the moment.

What if a pedestrian, a cyclist or a child injures themselves by falling against the car or colliding with it? Insurance is not just to protect other motorists or the driver of the car.

BTW, parking in a public place with no current insurance certificate displayed is an offence which can result in points on your licence if you are prosecuted.

How would someone who injures themselves on legally parked car claim against its insurance?

That has to be unworkable or you'd have conmen walking into parked cars all the time.

So your contention is that it's perfectly all right to park an uninsured car on a public road?

How would someone who injures themselves on legally parked car claim against its insurance?

That has to be unworkable or you'd have conmen walking into parked cars all the time.

If there was something hanging out of it, if it moved, if someone fell over it...

the list is endless really.

So you can walk into any legally parked car and sue? That makes no sense.

Who do you sue and for what? How is someone else liable?

We're not talking about a car that moves. Or one with something hanging out of it. That's an entirely different subject.

Isn't insurance is all about the ''what ifs'' which occur despite the best intentions of the owner of the vehicle?

What if the handbrake fails and the car moves ?
What if the car has an electrical/engine fault and goes on fire ?
Who is responsible for clearing up and paying for the mess in such a scenario if someone gets hurt ? Is it the owners responsibility or is it seen as just an act of God ?
Maybe a parked car which is'nt ever driven but instead is towed to (or removed from) a public parking spot by a pickup truck can obtain a different type of insurance or requires such. Why not ask the Gardai ?

I've heard of people getting charged with driving with no insurance, but have to say never heard of anyone charged with parked with no insurance! Laughable to think that if someone hits your car thats parked in a legal spot that you're liable!

If there was something hanging out of it, if it moved, if someone fell over it...

the list is endless really.

Every one of those could also apply to your wheelie bin.

I presume you don't put that on the street without insurance ?

All vehicles must have insurance, unless they are parked off road, i.e. private property. If the gardai see it parked on the road without an insurance disc, they'll probably issue you a fine.

All vehicles must have insurance, unless they are parked off road, i.e. private property. If the gardai see it parked on the road without an insurance disc, they'll probably issue you a fine.

If you can confirm a link to prove this then we can stop all of this now ?

I couldn't find one that refereed to a parked car one way or the other.

Rang Gardai there, the only thing you could be done for would be non-display of valid insurance disk, which he indicated was highly unlikely. Even more unlikely when I explained the scenario to him, re having tax disc but insurance switched to another car. As long as its taxed and legally parked there are no legal implications on the owner for people crashing into it, falling over it, going on fire and burning a tree etc.

Thanks for all the replies, correct and incorrect ;-)

What if the handbrake fails and the car rolls ... who's responsible then? The owner surely?

The fact that you may be held responsible does not mean that insurance is compulsory.

I have been told definitively by a guard that there is no offence being committed in the situation described by the OP.

Back