Home 123.ie have doubled my premium

bond-007

Just got my renewal from 123.ie for my house insurance and it has jumped from €450 last year which took into account a claim (premium went up from 340 to 450) which was fully settled prior to renewal last year to a whopping €900. I was with Zurich but they have now moved to Travellers.

123 are refusing to budge and I don't want to go to travellers. Does anyone know any brokers that quote for Zurich?

chill.ie quotes for Zurich. Zurich also quote directly but oddly quoted me a higher price for going direct. I left Axa this year because they increased my premium by 50% for no reason. I presume they hoped I wouldn't notice. They also wouldn't price match Zurich.

This is house insurance. Original post edited.

I would like someone to take over my existing Zurich policy. 123 have washed their hands of Zurich's customers.

I received my home insurance renewal from BOI a few weeks ago and it has gone up from 290 to 450 with no valid reason. they do say on the letter that insurance rates on the market are gone up by 25% this year (Central Statistic Office) However they have put mine up by over 50% and I am not happy and I have not even claimed all year. When I queried it teh customer service agent told me that I got an introductory offer last year and that they were trying to increase business at the time, also I pointed out home rebuilding costs had gone down but she said yes only by a small amount.:(

Just got my renewal from 123.ie for my house insurance and it has jumped from €450 last year which took into account a claim (premium went up from 340 to 450) which was fully settled prior to renewal last year to a whopping €900. I was with Zurich but they have now moved to Travellers.

123 are refusing to budge and I don't want to go to travellers. Does anyone know any brokers that quote for Zurich?

Just a suggestion - did you log on to their website and apply for the cover as a 'new' customer - would be interesting to see what the result is. Did this for my Dad a couple of years ago - at the time there was a difference of greater than E100 and they eventually agreed to 'match' their own offer!

in same boat car insurance with aliianz gone through the roof,have home policy and rental house with them. i got them down on house in insurance and rang around and got car insurance for 280 less from quinn direct. from what i can see all insurance companies give you a low premium for first year. i contact them all and take the best offer.

Just a suggestion - did you log on to their website and apply for the cover as a 'new' customer - would be interesting to see what the result is. Did this for my Dad a couple of years ago - at the time there was a difference of greater than E100 and they eventually agreed to 'match' their own offer!
Sadly as there has been a claim they won't quote online as a new customer.

Just renewed with 123 and also switched to Travellers. Didn't get renewal notice until they phoned and then I had no time to get quotes. Up €50 from last year.

Any particular reason why you do not want to switch to Travellers

Last edited:
Back again. :(

Ok, It seems that no one wants to know. Zurich themselves will not quote citing you must deal with 123.ie. 123.ie are no longer dealing with Zurich. I was told by one broker that Zurich as the current insurer must provide terms. Is this true?

Now because the house is old, i.e. over 100 years old and we can't be certain of when it was built, there are no records available of when it was first built we can't get terms from anyone. House is structurally sound and has been inspected by a surveyor. All we know is it is over 100 years old. Some will quote for old houses but won't with a claim, those that will quote with a claim won't for an old house. Vicious circle. It seems that we cannot win.

I am at the end of my tether. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried to talk to someone higher up in Zurich or are you just dealing with front line staff?

I suspect they are front line staff. It seems impossible to get anywhere.

Also no broker wants to take on a Zurich policy.

Thanks for the responses so far.

The plot thickens. I contacted the IIF and they say there is nothing anyone can do. As travellers have quoted (no matter how high) it is a case of hard cheese. Zurich are not obliged to carry on the current policy if 123.ie have pulled the plug.

:mad:

I just did this for mine, and got a quote of €110 less than their initial quote - what is going on here? All this reinforces my belief that the insurance industry is run by a bunch of chancers who basically make it up as they go along. Competence and customer service are mere buzzwords to them

My partner works in the Insurance industry and the general consenses is "recessionary times = more claimes = higher premiums".

Dont you love they way its all backed up :rolleyes:

Also rebuild costs are still increasing exponentially according to insurance companies. My friend who is a builder disagrees.

They discussed increased premiums on the radio recently. It seems as they are no longer making money on the stock exchange, property etc they have gone back to incresing premiums.

My car premium went from 400 to 600 with Alianze. Got it for 430 with insure.ie.

pm

Just got my renewal notice from AXA - no claims for maybe 20 yrs.
It went up to over 600 by around 100 from last year.
Tried it on line with quinn quote, and this came out much the same.
So will try a few more, but its looking like we all have to pay more this year!

Back