No longer self employed, now no benefits??

mikeyclare

Hi, I have a friend who has recently closed their business after 20 years and has been told they are not entitled to the dole. Surely this cannot be right?? Is he expected to live on fresh air??? This country seems incredible considering how many jobs he created over the years!

There was an item about this on Ireland AM on TV3 within the last two weeks. I cannot recall the name of the guy. Anyway I was always under the same belief, but this expert said that was incorrect. It just takes a few more hoops to jump though, and even SW were not always aware of these hoops. He also said in the short term, illness benefit would be approved were there circumstances that gave rise.

As mentioned above, self-employed persons pay Class S PRSI, which only counts towards a pension. There is no entitlement to jobseeker or illness benefit with Class S contributions.

If the former self-employed person is available for work, they can apply for Jobseeker's Allowance, which is means-tested.

If a person is unfit for work and has no entitlement to Illness Benefit, they may be eligible for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (if the illness is short-term) or Disability Allowance (if the illness is long-term). Both schemes are also means-tested.

Back