insulating old house

johneym

Hello folks,

I have a large amount of 4 inch thick by 1 meter sq. polystyrene boards.

Recently I acquired a cottage(100 yrs old) with solid foot thick concrete walls. There is an extension to the back about 25 years old and this has a cavity wall. House has been vacant a number of years and we plan to live there when I can make it livable.
I have been thinking of a use for my polystyrene. I suppose I could put it inside the walls, but the internal space is so small already that I do not want to take any more off. And if it were outside? Mushroom fixed and plastered over? Is this a crazy idea or has anyone any ideas on how best to use this and insulate the property.

Thanks a lot,

John

Would the polystyrene be a bit soft for plastering over? Could you apply it and then something else over it to plaster on? Someone I know got a very old cottage (for a holiday home) and he laid heavy sheet plastic on the floors throughout to prevent rising damp.

hello Joan,

yes thats a very good point.

Thanks for the input.
I believe a mesh goes over the insulation which would strengthen it up.

The dpc is also a good idea.

How's about using it in the attic? Roll out noraml insulation between the joists, then lay the polystyrene as a second layer on top of the joists.

One warning, polystryrene dissolves electric cable insulation, so whatever way you use it, take electrical runs into account.

Back