Other Mobile Phone Insurance

Star10

Looking for advice on insuring a mobile phone please. See alot of different companies advertising...any recommendations or anything to watch out for please?

What kinds of losses do you want to be insured against? You'll need to read the T&Cs yourself to see if any specific policy meets your wants & needs.

What kinds of losses do you want to be insured against? You'll need to read the T&Cs yourself to see if any specific policy meets your wants & needs.

Mobile phone insurance is a total waste of money regardless what mobile phone sales staff tell you.

Too expensive with too many terms and conditions to be worthwhile.

Add it to your house all risks insurance contents. Costs very little only problem is if you claim on it your premium will go up a bit.

If you have an Ulster Bank account, you can take out the ufirst option. Costs a tenner a month and as part of the package, you can insure 2 smartphones. I think the excess is €90 and Aviva underwrite it. There are other benefits too but I only use it for the cheap phone insurance.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I do have an UB account, but I have my own phone insured with them and I thought you could only insure one unless you had a joint account???

If you have an Ulster Bank account, you can take out the ufirst option. Costs a tenner a month and as part of the package, you can insure 2 smartphones. I think the excess is €90 and Aviva underwrite it. There are other benefits too but I only use it for the cheap phone insurance.

€10 per month with €90 excess per claim is a rip off unless you damage/lose the phone in the first few months of ownership.

After a year paying phone insurance, the premium (€120 per year) has almost cost you the value of the phone. If you comapred it to car insurance, its the same as paying €10,000 per year to insure a car worth €20,000.

You'd be better taking the €10 euro and putting it in the bank instead. If at the end of the year you haven't had to use this "rainy day" money to replace your handset, you now have €120 to go towards a new model. :)

Mobile phone insurance is a total waste of money regardless what mobile phone sales staff tell you.

Too expensive with too many terms and conditions to be worthwhile.
I agree having paid insurance on student phones :eek:

One of the German multiples sells "ruggedised" builders' phones for fairly small money. No super-duper whizz-bangs but it's a phone. They cost less than the annual premium for smart-phone insurance.

"OMG!! WTF!! Use this? It doesn't even match my shoes or have FaceTube!!!. It'd be like wearing non-branded runners!!! R U crazy Dad?"

Haha...I think if I suggested one of those phones, that is exactly the answer I would get. I think I might change the UB insurance to cover the new phone instead of mine which is alot less expensive...probably cheaper all round

"OMG!! WTF!! Use this? It doesn't even match my shoes or have FaceTube!!!. It'd be like wearing non-branded runners!!! R U crazy Dad?"[/QUOTE]

I do have an UB account, but I have my own phone insured with them and I thought you could only insure one unless you had a joint account???

You're right. We have a joint account :eek:

€10 per month with €90 excess per claim is a rip off unless you damage/lose the phone in the first few months of ownership.

After a year paying phone insurance, the premium (€120 per year) has almost cost you the value of the phone. If you comapred it to car insurance, its the same as paying €10,000 per year to insure a car worth €20,000.

You'd be better taking the €10 euro and putting it in the bank instead. If at the end of the year you haven't had to use this "rainy day" money to replace your handset, you now have €120 to go towards a new model. :)

We don't pay any other bank charges as well. And by looking at what BoI have just charged me for my personal current account, the actual cost on the insurance isn't that much.

Then there's the self insure issue. Am I going to put €10 a month away to cover the potential cost? The answer is no and I don't want to be on the hook for a €500 phone. I've gone down that road before and it hurts.

Back