Motor Writing off a car without an accident?

Mortimer

Hi,

The transfer box on our jeep is beyond repair after some damage from a severe pothole (that we thought our exorbitant tax may have paid to fill in).

The transfer box is unrepairable. I rang every breaker's yard in Ireland and cannot find a replacement part for this particular model. I did find one in the UK which is £1k sterling plus delivery. Labour would cost up to £500.

Similar jeeps are for sale on DoneDeal starting at £2k up to £6k on Carzone.

Therefore, we don't think it makes economic sense to get it fixed. A breakers yard suggested we might get 800 euro max if we sold the car as is for scrap.

Is there anything in comprehensive policies that cover such a scenario or does the vehicle need to be involved in a crash to deem it eligible to be written off?

It should be covered with the usual conditions. Excess etc. Ring your insurance company.

The transfer box on our jeep is beyond repair after some damage from a severe pothole

I'd say your only hope is to claim of the council, but 'EXPECT LONG DELAYS':(

Your insurance won't cover you for bad roads.

'Comprehensive' is a term. The actual policy peril is ACCIDENTAL damage and by accidentally hitting a pothole, you have sustained accidental damage. Report to your insurer and claim.

Back