Motor Renewing Spouse's Car insurance

sammya

Hi

I recently made a claim in my own car insurance (approx €1200) which is not yet settled. I hold a Fully protected & Step Back protection. My wife's insurance is due for renewal is 2 weeks time & I am an additional driver in her policy. She got a quote from the existing insurer & when trying to amend the policy to include my claim she is not able to get a quote. She has no issue getting a quote on her own. Is there any disadvantage in this. We do use a common car at times. Will there be any loading in my insurance inspite of having a Fully protected policy & will this show up in my NCD cert.

Talk to insurer/broker. Any claim made against you. should be against YOUR insurance and YOURS alone. The only NCB to be affected is YOURS..

I suppose insurers can make their own rules and this shows the importance of both spouses being insured with the same insurer.

Most insurers require you to divulge the claims of any driver named on the policy. Our situation is similar and I'd say it loads the policy by 50

You just need to shop around

... this shows the importance of both spouses being insured with the same insurer.
Why is this different to full disclosure on two policies with two companies, other than some discount for 2nd driver?

We both are insured with the same insurer through different brokers. As I had mentioned earlier she is not able to get a online quote with any company. We are going to give a call on Tuesday & see what happens. In a worst case she has to go on her own. Will my policy be loaded next year & will I be able to shop around next year?? This is my first claim in 18 yrs.

because if there is a problem, you only need to sort it with the one insurer and not be passed from one to the other!

If your wife renews her insurance in her own name, you should still be insured to drive her car (with third party cover only) under your own policy. Check the terms and conditions of your policy. Most insurers cover driving other peoples cars on their policies.

Rang the insurance company, explained the situation & after waiting for a few mins got a reply that there is no issue in adding my name & the original premium. As I had mentioned earlier I was not able to get a quote online from the same company when I was disclosing the claim. Thanks for all your replies.

The pen is mightier than than the sword, but the spoken word is mightier than the computer keystroke!

Back