Sale Agreed - Next Steps

candyman

Hi all,

I have just gone sale agreed on a house.
Does anyone have a good list of the next steps that must be carried out from this point to signing final contracts. Beyond the 2 below, what are the next steps.

Step 1: Pay booking deposit
Step 2: Provide proof of mortgage approval
Step 3: ?
Step 4: ?
etc..

Many thanks, John

I found this documents very useful when we bought our house last year

[broken link removed]

best of luck

That's a great list to start with, thanks for that.

Is a structural survey required, more likely its just prudent to do, but who do you contact to get one of these completed and ballpark costings?

I think a survey for mortgage purposes is required and the bank usually have a panel of surveyors that you can choose from depending on location.

The cost for me last year was either €100 or €125 I cannot remember exactly

This is the cost relating to a valuation rather han a full survey. If the property is a reasonably recent build a full survey may be unnecessary, but it generally pays to get one done, to ensure that there are no unforseen structural or planning problems.

A structural survey depends on a few things - if you want one or the bank insists on one.

I personally think you should defintly get one done so you know if theres any problems with roof, walls etc as this might reflect your final buying price. It also shows if there is planning issues etc.

The bank can also insist on one if the house is old.

When you contact the banks valuer to arrange him calling out you can always ask them do they do surveys. Most do and will do both valuation and survey for a lower price.

However ..... i would get an independent one that was recommended by someone. I used the banks valuer and they were hopeless. Everything they listed was rubbish including -
rising damp that needed 3000k worth of work ( turns out there was none) They also said the extension roof was perfect when 3 months later I had to have it fully replaced as it was in such bad condition

If you want have a goo at my blog i wrote during it all.

http://dublinhousehunt.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
However ..... i would get an independent one that was recommended by someone. I used the banks valuer and they were hopeless. Everything they listed was rubbish including -
Beware of valuers doing surveys!! Very few valuers are qualified architects/engineers and as such do not have the skills to complte a survey (doesn't stop them doing one). As per Snowy's experience, it pays to employ a qualified person who will be in a position to give you a professional opinion on the property.

I'm updating the list as we go here.
Can anyone recommend a good structural surveyor?

Step 3: Get a structural survey done (may not be always required but prudent to do so)
Step 4: Get a valuation

I'm updating the list as we go here.
Can anyone recommend a good structural surveyor?

Step 3: Get a structural survey done (may not be always required but prudent to do so)
Step 4: Get a valuation

you need to get a solicitor ? he really does all the work then , checking the deeds etc . Be wary of ultra cheap solicitors they can be very slow. Again a reccomendation is always good .

Step 3: Appoint a solicitor
Step 4: Get a valuation done (required by bank)
Step 5: Get a structural survey done (may not be always required but prudent to do so)
Step 6: ?

Is a structural survey required, more likely its just prudent to do, but who do you contact to get one of these completed and ballpark costings?
A survey will likely cost between €240 and €280 inc. VAT on a typical estate house, but you can pay up to €400. I would get one done. A valuer, which you'll need for mortgage purposes, will cost €130 inc. VAT, which is money for old rope . . but what can you do. A solicitor will probably charge you €1000 + VAT professional fee which, when added to other typical outlays will probably bring the bill to €2000 all-in. Stamp Duty, as you will likely be aware, is 1% of purchase price.

Step 3: Appoint a solicitor
Step 4: Get a valuation done (required by bank)
Step 5: Get a structural survey done (may not be always required but prudent to do so)
Step 6: ?

STEP 6 panic , wonder if youve made a mistake, get over excited, mentally buy all of ikea, try to calm down to avoid tempting fate :)

in reality though I think after all that was done I went to the solictors and he went over the contract with me . Then we just dealt with any issues that arose about the mortgage application ... i had to get an exemption cert for the extension.

we agreed with the seller a closing date, that the house would be cleared before hand and what( if anything) the seller was leaving

I signed the contracts and a few days later the solictors swapped everything over and I got the keys.

About a week or two later I think I signed the deeds and paid the solicitor and stamp duty etc

Back