e-mail messages wont send, why?

nad

Hi
when i try to send an e-mail it wont go, and i get the following error message.(the message could not be sent because the recipient was rejected by the server) the addresses i am sending to are ones i have used before,any suggestions how i can correct this or what the cause might be?

Re: e-mail messages wont sent, why?

It could be any number of things, but possibly that you have gone over your limits. Try deleting big e-mails. i.e. large attachments. Ensure to remove them from deleted items too

Send a small one liner email and see does that go. The receivers mail file may be full.

Are you sending multiple CC or BCC copies? If so, and if one of these addresses are mistyped, you may get the error message you refer to.

using outlook express , have just deleted alot of unwanted mail and problem still there.

...and are you using eircom....I have started to get this in the last while. Some of the errors I got were:

'Xxxx, Xxxx' on 3/8/2008 9:08 PM
451 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=89.100.131.111

and

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
'XXX@xxxx on 2/5/2008 5:05 PM
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

any techies who can shead some light....

1. Either try from an alternate e-mail address you may have. This will eliminate provider error.
2. Try to reply to an email from a recipient as opposed to sending a new one

This usually happens if the internet connection you're using is with a different service-provider to the owner of the SMTP host you configured in Outlook Express.

So, for example, if you're on an Eircom hotspot but you're configured to use UTV Internet's SMTP relay for outgoing mail.

If you are on Eircom, then use mail1.eircom.net for outgoing mail, even if your incoming mail is coming from a different server.

Happens a lot when abroad and using hotspots.

One other possibility is that your ISP's SMTP server has been black-listed by the recipient's server because someone else used it for Spamming.

This is still acting up on me & have not been able to e-mail for a few days. I followed some links through Spamhaus & found out that I needs to click to approve SMTP, which I have done, but still not sending. I am with Eircom....I would rather not change address by setting up another account....anyone got any ideas on how to overcome this before I charge up a fortune calling Eircom! (PS - need fairly plain english!) Thanks

451 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=89.100.131.XXX

If you are on Eircom, then use mail1.eircom.net for outgoing mail,
- tried this but seemed to make no difference

Gave in & called Eircom, who got me to log on via their web-site (never normally log on this way). As soon as it connected, he said as far as they are concerned it is working & to contact my service provider (which I thought they were!!- said I wasn't a techie). Broadband is via NTL - does that make them my service provider?

as Technologist stated - Eircom will only allow you to use their SMTP server to sendmail if you use their broadband services (or any old dial up connection). They explicitly block connections from other landline bb providers (eg ntl, esatbt ...) you can still use their smtp servers with 02 mobile bb.

from ntl website [broken link removed] - set your smtp server to smtp.upcmail.ie

you will have to leave the pop server pointing to eircoms pop server.

Thanks for this nai.

I've had my email set up like this for about 2 years & no problems, is this something new that Eircom are enforcing?

I've gone to the address above, but I have never had anything set up with NTL, such as log-ons etc. (NTL guy came and installed everything & no problem until now). Do I need to call them to get something setup or is there a particular place on their website I need to go? I cann't see anywhere obvious.

PS - remembered an old gmail account & sent a mail thru that, so it just the mail sent from my eircom account (via MS Office Outlook) that is causing the problem)

Googled for 'NTL SMTP' and got this site: [broken link removed]

Server settings E-Mail Server
POP3: pop.upcmail.ie
SMTP: smtp.upcmail.ie

News
news.upc.ie

Proxy-Server
None

Primary DNS

Secondry DNS

Customer web space
members.upc.ie/us.er

where us.er is the username of the user e.g. declan.walsh

FTP Server
upload.upc.ie

I am also getting the same Error 451 message.My e-mail address is with Eircom but I now get my broadband through UTV - what can I do...?????

Maybe your service provider has just recently turned on SMTPAUTH which means that you will need to activate it. In Outlook Express choose Tools, Accounts, select the account you send with, choose Properties, click Server tab and under Outgoing Mail Server tick My server requires authentication. You can either use the same settings or provide others, although the same settings should probably do the trick. Hopefully that might help.

In all of the above cases the issue is with the user's Outlook/OExpress settings pointing to an incorrect SMTP server. Change your SMTP settings to match those of your provider and your problem will disappear. Else, you can go to the spamhaus web site every time you send mail in a session and de-list your IP address (first option way easier).

Really appreciate all the advice but still stuck - change the setting....but looked for a password & the only password I've ever used for e-mail isn't working. Will call NTL & see if I can sort it out. Probably would be easier to change address !!

Back