Sick during Annual Leave was "Hassle over sick certificate"

kiwifruit

Just wondering if anyone has views or an answer to my situation.
I took this week off work as holidays as my missus just had a baby. I let work know well in advance. On Monday, I felt sick and went to my GP, she told me I had an infection and gave me a sick certificate for work for the week. I rang work today to let them know about it. I was told that because I booked the holidays first, I will have to use my holiday days even though im sick. I was hoping to use the note which would mean that i would be able to use my week holidays later on in the year. But its a bit stink that work wont acknowledge my sick certificate. Any advice will be most welcome

Re: Hassle over sick certificate

You booked holidays...you fell sick during your holidays.

Now you want work to give you your holidays back???

Am I missing something really obvious here? You are sick during your holidays...bad luck and all that...but what has it got to do with your work?

Am I missing something really obvious here? You are sick during your holidays...bad luck and all that...but what has it got to do with your work?
Exactly

It depends on the employment contract. If I produce a doctor's cert for a period when I was taking leave, I get the leave back.

from citizens info.ie:

Annual leave and sick leave

If you are ill while you are on annual leave, you should get a medical certificate from your family doctor (GP) as soon as possible to cover the days that you were sick and give this to your employer as soon as you return to work. In this way, the sick days will not count as annual leave and will be available to you at a later date.

(HOWEVER...)

Sickness during the leave year will reduce the total number of hours worked by an employee and can therefore affect your entitlement to annual leave. For example, a full-time employee who works 40 hours per week will accumulate the necessary 1,365 hours in the leave year after just over 34 weeks working to qualify for the minimum amount of annual leave (that is, 4 weeks). Absence from work through sickness would need to be extensive (18 weeks or more) before it affected that employee's annual leave.

link is here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...ave-and-holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays

I believe from my limited knowledge of employment law that the employer has to accept the sick note and re-instate your holiday entitlements.

Wow. Don't give this poor new father an inch whatever you do. Thanks Mel for clearing that up.

from citizens info.ie:

Annual leave and sick leave

If you are ill while you are on annual leave, you should get a medical certificate from your family doctor (GP) as soon as possible to cover the days that you were sick and give this to your employer as soon as you return to work. In this way, the sick days will not count as annual leave and will be available to you at a later date.

(HOWEVER...)

Sickness during the leave year will reduce the total number of hours worked by an employee and can therefore affect your entitlement to annual leave. For example, a full-time employee who works 40 hours per week will accumulate the necessary 1,365 hours in the leave year after just over 34 weeks working to qualify for the minimum amount of annual leave (that is, 4 weeks). Absence from work through sickness would need to be extensive (18 weeks or more) before it affected that employee's annual leave.

link is here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...ave-and-holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays

I stand corrected. It's bizarre legislation but I still stand corrected.

Next time I'm abroad and have a deli belly it's on my company!!

I stand corrected. It's bizarre legislation but I still stand corrected.

Next time I'm abroad and have a deli belly it's on my company!!
I agree with you, it is bizarre.
I presume you would have have to give back your holiday pay if you don't get paid sick leave?

It is an odd one - it only stuck in my mind when i saw it before because it seemed so strange. I suppose the normal sick pay conditions per contract would apply? I've never actually heard of anyone claiming back days like that though.

I have worked for several multinationals and reinstating holiday entitlements on production of a medical cert is not unusual.

Where I work if your produce a cert when you are on holidays you can cancell holidays and take them some other time.

Thanks to all who replied,especially Whistler,as the main thing is the baby i suppose. Yeah,im doing the night feeds. Thanks a million to Mel as without that I would have probably given in. And a muted thanks for Gabriel and purple for their insight even though it was a bit harsh,lighten up lads.Have you ever pulled a sickie,I hope not.
Cheers

it really depends on if you got the 2much job or not as well.
if you like it then stay, if it doesn't really cut it then do what you really like
nothing like doing your favourite job, like me, I take care of our 14 month old son during the 4 day week then work 1/2 day thurs fri sat doing landscape /garden design. love it, hated working for 'the man' so i left and haven't looked back

Thanks to all who replied,especially Whistler,as the main thing is the baby i suppose. Yeah,im doing the night feeds. Thanks a million to Mel as without that I would have probably given in. And a muted thanks for Gabriel and purple for their insight even though it was a bit harsh,lighten up lads.Have you ever pulled a sickie,I hope not.
Cheers
You're welcome :D. I did the night feeds on my first two kids (and about half them on the third) but didn't have to take time off (it went on for four months so I don't think holidays would cover it anyway). It's ok; my wife thinks I'm great so you don't have to comment :p. I don't get sick pay (and I'm the boss!) so it's not an issue for me anyway.

it really depends on if you got to 2much job or not as well.
if you like it then stay, if it doesn't really cut it then do what you really like
nothing like doing your favourite job, like me, I take care of our 14 month old son during the 4 day week then work 1/2 day thurs fri sat doing landscape /garden design. love it, hated working for 'the man' so i left and haven't looked back

I'm confused - did the OP say they didn't like their job?

Where I am we get it back aswell. In the past I didn't. From a practical point of view if some is off on holiday they presumably need a rest or the time off for some reason. Just because they are sick doesn't mean that need hasn't gone away, and probably is even more needed after being sick. Why drag them back into work worse off than when they left. That would be "bizarre". I don't see the sense in wearing down a good employee like that.

If you employed a robot instead of a human, you still have maintain and service it. You wouldn't invest in one then run it into the ground through lack of maintenance.

Back