Work Related Repetitive Strain Injury - effect on my record, compensation etc?

Yep, this is exactly the sort of situation where help from someone trained in ergonomics is a good idea. My problem is with the notion that this sort of thing is required even if no issues have been raised by any employees.

And you see, I would look at Diziet's story differently... I would see that his situation is a perfect example of how a prgramme of WSA would have prevented his injury. What is wrong with that concept?

but basically unless someone says “hay, I’m having a recurring problem because of how I work and I can’t seem to sort it out” it won’t figure large on our radar

Again, rather than waiting until an employee suffers pain for an extended period of time, why not put systems in place to prevent them suffering the pain in the first place? (Leaving aside completely the fact that legislation requires it) . On a purely human level, surely it's better to prevent the pain, rather than that trying to remedy the pain?

I really don't see what is so controversial about a basic programme of WSAs, or why someone would react so negatively to them. They are not some hare-brained idea that I came up with... they are widely accepted as Best Practice in the field of H&S, and are widely implemented by enlightened employers.

And you see, I would look at Diziet's story differently... I would see that his situation is a perfect example of how a prgramme of WSA would have prevented his injury. What is wrong with that concept?

Again, rather than waiting until an employee suffers pain for an extended period of time, why not put systems in place to prevent them suffering the pain in the first place? (Leaving aside completely the fact that legislation requires it) . On a purely human level, surely it's better to prevent the pain, rather than that trying to remedy the pain?

I really don't see what is so controversial about a basic programme of WSAs, or why someone would react so negatively to them. They are not some hare-brained idea that I came up with... they are widely accepted as Best Practice in the field of H&S, and are widely implemented by enlightened employers.
At what stage do we stop implementing programmes to pre-empt things that might happen? Should there be a programme to swap peoples hands after they leave the toilet in order to ensure that they have washed their hands properly so that they do not spread germs? What other programmes should be put in place?
Should there be a programme to keep pencils blunt just in case an employee stuck one in their eye?
Should employees not have access to hot drinks just in case they burn themselves? Should there be a “how to make a cup of tea” H&S training programme?... is there one and I missed it?

At what stage do we stop implementing programmes to pre-empt things that might happen? ...

When the courts take the same position on personal responsibility as you do. So long as lawsuits succeed when your commonsense approach might say that that the claim is unreasonable, then it is wise for people to takes steps to minimise their exposure.

When the courts take the same position on personal responsibility as you do. So long as lawsuits succeed when your commonsense approach might say that that the claim is unreasonable, then it is wise for people to takes steps to minimise their exposure.

I agree but you cannot mitigate all risk. It’s a bit like the line that an idiot is the only person who would want to use an idiot proof system.

For the record, the company I worked for at the time did have WSA systems in place - we all got training etc and they took it quite seriously. But let's be practical here - you can't pre-empt everything. Half the battle is getting employees to take some responsibility too. I was kicking myself that I did not ask for a full ergonomic assessment earlier (it was, after all, there on offer). I had not realised what a significant difference a seemingly small adjustment would make. So it works both ways I think.

Re: Repetitive Strain Injury - sue employer?

Would posters refoucus on the OP's original question and continue to abide by the posting guidelines.

Momah.

Your interesting contributions have been split off here:
Does the process of litigation itself encourage disability and compromise recovery?

Please leave this thread to discuss the particular questions raised by the OP.

aj

My interpretation of the OP's question is whether sueing his employer would be a positive move for his career, health etc.

Personally I feel I have not disgressed from that question.(except for the last week when I was away)

If the OP is interested in getting better from a very painful and debilitating condition, the best course of action is to move forward.

In answer to his original question.

Sueing his employer is very likely to make his condition worse.

I absolutely accept everything he says about his condition.

In my considerable experience he will improve and get better if he focuses his energies in the right direction.

Sueing his employer, involving unions etc is using alot of precious energy in less profitable directions for him as an individual.

I'm sure his doctor and physiotherapist would be horrified if they knew their flippant comments sent him off in this direction.

I wish him the very best.

Just wanna share this... [broken link removed] can come from many causes. Other factors should also be considered as contributing to stress in all cases. Being overweight or pregnant or having high stress levels in general can certainly take a toll on certain joints. Once you have been diagnosed with repetitive stress injury, all of these factors must be taken into consideration before the most effective course of treatment can be prescribed by your doctor.

The level of understanding of Irish employees in respect to the responsibilities of employers under the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act and principles of ergonomics astounds me. Employers have a statutory duty of care towards all employees. They have a legal duty to identify potential hazards and conduct risk assessments of the working environment - which includes the work station - has this been done? Ask for this report and safety statement. Visit the HSA website and if you are concerned report them to the HSA.

Back