Trade Union (IBOA) ignoring my correspondence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not. The IBOA has done absolutely nothing for me. They didn't deal with one issue that I raised. They offered no help, advice or any correspondence on the issues that I raised.

Yet another letter that I addressed to Larry Broderick some weeks ago has not been responded to.

Out of curiosity and perhaps because people on here may be able to assist you, what is the issue?

Out of curiosity and perhaps because people on here may be able to assist you, what is the issue?

I am not sure that the issues that I raised with the IBOA is relevant, maybe it is, I'm not sure. My main issue is that the IBOA ignored my correspondence, my phone calls, my emails.

I had been on sick leave from my job. I was on full pay for 6 months and supposed to go on half pay but I had to fight to get this paid. I was also having difficulties getting pay slips posted to me. Each month I sent in to my employer details of my social welfare payments. They would let these amounts build up and then deduct them all at once so some months I received almost nil pay. The realtionship with my employer was one of total frustration. During this time I continued to pay my IBOA sub in full even during the months when I had practically nothing to live on. I did not contact the IBOA about any of the above but tried to deal with this direct with my employer.

However things began to get worse that's when I contacted the IBOA after trying to deal directly with my employer myself.

As a retired Bank Manager i feel for you. You say the IBOA are ignoring you and your Manager is not of much help either. Is there anyone else in the Branch/Dept who could help? From memory banks had a written policy re pay on sick leave. It is sad this is dragging on since Oct last with no improvement. As i said maybe a colleague could beof help in sorting out your problem

Each month I sent in to my employer details of my social welfare payments. They would let these amounts build up and then deduct them all at once so some months I received almost nil pay.

Why do payroll units do this sort of thing? It can interfere with direct debits, standing orders, pension contributions, trade union subscriptions. If an employee sends in details of their social welfare payments on a monthly basis then surely the company can also deduct these payments on a monthly basis and not let them build up.

I am not sure that the issues that I raised with the IBOA is relevant, maybe it is, I'm not sure. My main issue is that the IBOA ignored my correspondence, my phone calls, my emails.

I had been on sick leave from my job. I was on full pay for 6 months and supposed to go on half pay but I had to fight to get this paid. I was also having difficulties getting pay slips posted to me. Each month I sent in to my employer details of my social welfare payments. They would let these amounts build up and then deduct them all at once so some months I received almost nil pay. The realtionship with my employer was one of total frustration. During this time I continued to pay my IBOA sub in full even during the months when I had practically nothing to live on. I did not contact the IBOA about any of the above but tried to deal with this direct with my employer.

However things began to get worse that's when I contacted the IBOA after trying to deal directly with my employer myself.
So let me get this right , the Bank have fulfilled all their obligations to you in that you received full pay for the first 6 months and are currently on half pay ( albeit after after a fight in which the IBOA were not involved ).
Notwithstanding the fact that the payroll section of the Bank deducted the amounts reclaimable in one fell swoop rather than on a monthly basis you still received the correct amounts due so the only real matter outstanding is the question of payslips being forwarded to you ?
I quite agree however that your query should not have been ignored but really what do you expect the IBOA to do as you are basically receiving all you are entitled to ?

Aside from the bank's HR department being bureaucratically incompetent, I'm struggling to see what your complaint is. If you were not happy with the behaviour of your manager or HR, you should be entitled to raise a grievance against them if necessary.

As for the IBOA, their full time union staff mobile numbers tend to be in circulation across any bank or on their circulars, could you just not ring them?

As for the IBOA, their full time union staff mobile numbers tend to be in circulation across any bank or on their circulars, could you just not ring them?

I thought that the OP had written to, emailed and phoned the IBOA but got no response? What more can they do?

I thought that the OP had written to, emailed and phoned the IBOA but got no response? What more can they do?

My understanding is he rang the office, I was suggesting he rings the full time reps mobile phone.

If a member has a complaint their first reference point should be their local rep who if they are not in a position to deal with the query may refer the matter on to the district secretary or professional IBOA staff member who deals with the area concerned - was this process followed ?
It also appears that the poster may not have a valid complaint.

Why are you making assumptions that this is the case?

Either way they should have had the courtesy of a reply from the IBOA.
Based on the information provided by the poster he is receiving his correct entitlements from the Bank.
What exactly therefore is there to complain about ?

Based on the information provided by the poster he is receiving his correct entitlements from the Bank.

What information did the poster give about his entitlements? It seems to me that you might have more information about the OP than you are letting on? Are you associated with the IBOA or the complaint in any way?

You also seem to constantly ignore the one fact in your replies. The OP never received the courtesy of a reply from the IBOA.

Do you think that this is acceptable?

What information did the poster give about his entitlements? It seems to me that you might have more information about the OP than you are letting on? Are you associated with the IBOA or the complaint in any way?

You also seem to constantly ignore the one fact in your replies. The OP never received the courtesy of a reply from the IBOA.

Do you think that this is acceptable?
Let me refer you to the poster's post of the 29th May at 10.34 am where he outlined that he was on sick leave and received full pay for the first 6 months and half pay thereafter - also known as his entitlements , in that post he also readily admitted that the queries he raised with the IBOA may not be relevant !
I would submit that as he is receiving all he is entitled to then what does he expect the IBOA to do ?
I am not associated with the complaint in any way.
I was an IBOA member all my working life as I've already stated on this thread , happily now retired from the Bank on a package negotiated by the IBOA to whom I will always be grateful to !
You refer to the fact that I constantly ignore the fact that the OP never received the courtesy of a reply from the IBOA and ask do I find that accepatable - I would refer you to my post yesterday at 12.31 pm when I stated " I quite agree that your query should not have been ignored " - fairly unequivocal I would have thought ?
In an effort to assist the OP I also set out the preferred process to initiate a complaint.

Let me refer you to the poster's post of the 29th May at 10.34 am where he outlined that he was on sick leave and received full pay for the first 6 months and half pay thereafter - also known as his entitlements , in that post he also readily admitted that the queries he raised with the IBOA may not be relevant !

You have completly misread what the OP was saying.

The OP was saying in response to another poster who was trying to find out what his "work" issues were, that as far as this discussion was concerned these issues were not relevant. His main issue with the IBOA was that they didn't answer his correspondence.

He also said that he did not raise the issues of the pay slips and sick pay deductions etc with the IBOA that these were not part of his complaint to the IBOA. There can be lots of issues other than pay that can cause problems between an employee and an employer.

The OP indicates that it was something else entirely that formed part of his complaint to the IBOA. The OP's original complaint is about the IBOA not answering his correspondence. Why should the OP have to outline what was in his letter to the IBOA.

Re-read the OP's opening complaint and the title of this thread.

I think Deiseblue that you are trying to change the OP's opening thread in to something else.

This is not about the content of the OP's letter to the IBOA but about the fact that it was ignored.

Also the OP said

"However things began to get worse that's when I contacted the IBOA after trying to deal directly with my employer myself". It appears to have nothing to do with what you see as "entitlements" but something else that happened later on in the saga.

It is up to the OP if he/she wishes to tell us what these things are.

I think Deiseblue that you are trying to change the OP's opening thread in to something else.

This is not about the content of the OP's letter to the IBOA but about the fact that it was ignored.

Also the OP said

"However things began to get worse that's when I contacted the IBOA after trying to deal directly with my employer myself". It appears to have nothing to do with what you see as "entitlements" but something else that happened later on in the saga.

It is up to the OP if he/she wishes to tell us what these things are.
How can things possibly have gotten worse after the OP contacted the IBOA if as he contends he never received any contact from the IBOA - it just does'nt make any sense !
The only facts the OP has given us is that he has received all that he is entitled to from the Bank on foot of his illness albeit in a rather off the cuff fashion with social welfare deductions being made en bloc rather than on a monthly basis and has readily admitted that his complaint may not be relevant.
In my experience I would say that the IBOA always replies promptly to members queries/complaints , in the OP's position I would certainly have physically presented myself at IBOA house by this time

How can things possibly have gotten worse after the OP contacted the IBOA if as he contends he never received any contact from the IBOA - it just does'nt make any sense !

He is talking about with his employer not with the IBOA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back