Direct and Personal Questions at an Interview

Hi All,

still no word about this. Not a letter or call.
thought there would have been a decision by now.

Does anyone recommend contacting them by mail for an update, or leave it be until they get back to me.

C.

Hi C1

Just wondering if you've heard anything back about the job yet??

Hi Sprinklestar.

Nope, not a word.

I mailed him he said he's sorry for the delay and could I bear with him a for another few days, that was this day last week.

It will be 3 weeks on thursday since the 2nd interview.

is this normal waiting time?

C.

If I remember correctly, in my current job I must have waited at least three weeks after the second interview before I heard I was being offered the position. It was so frustrating and I was sure I wasn't going to get it.
Anyway, it was to do with one of the senior managers being on holiday and also getting sign off from head-office on the extra headcount (I didn't apply for a particular position - I sent my cv in on spec - got called for an interview - didn't get that position but was asked would I be interested in another).

Dudley

Hi All,

at this stage I've had no word back and have decided that this may not be the most suitable company for me to work for.

I do intend on making a formal complaint about the interview though. So where do I start?
has anyone ever done it before?

thanks,

I think one has to use common sense. I was recently asked some personal questions towards the end of an interview. I did think they were unnecessary but they were asked by my future boss (I got the job) and I just thought he was a)not thinking about the implications of asking personal questions, possibly because he had already decided I was the person for the job and b) friendly. He threw in some things about himself.

However, I did resent being asked (9 years and a college degree after the fact) how many points I got in my leaving cert. I didn't tell them. I said I couldn't remember: it was such a long time ago.

Ci1: they've left you hanging a long time now. Hope you hear something soon.

i think your right to forget about this one - its not meant for you, start looking at other options! and in all honesty would you like to work in a place like this - i mean how unprofessional?!

I think this is a bit like The Firm if anyones read it trying to make sure your in a stable enviroment and not likely to leave. Totally wrong.

Very interesting thread here. A couple of comments through it have interested me, mostly along the same lines.

extopia said:
It's frankly astonishing that anyone at a large international company would ask these
ci1 said:
They are a big international company I assumed their interviewing techniques would be better.

From recent experiences, it amazes me that people will always assume the best from "large international companies". Just because they're large, or international, doesn't mean they're in any way perfect. In fact, in many situations, these kinds of companies get so big and impersonal that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and more than that, doesn't care.

Dr.Moriarty has it spot on, I think.

I get the feeling that a lot of these inappropriate questions are attributable more to benign ineptitude

Having worked for 3 "large international companies", each of them the number 1 company in their line of business, each time it was a result of such ineptitude on the part of managers or HR that I decided to move on. I can't say that Irish companies are better, but I'm working for my first Irish company now, and so far so good.

With regards to the specific situaion mentioned here, regarding next steps for ci1 if she's decided that this isn't a place to work - a conclusion I would have come to after the initial interview, not matter how much I wanted the job. The kind of company this is has only been reinforced by the lack of response. There's no reason for such a lack of communication, full stop. If the boss is on holidays, there's someone else in charge who can make such contact, or there's HR, or there's minions around. No communication is a simple lack of respect.

Back to next steps. ci1 needs to determine whether a complaint about this interview will cause them difficulties in the future. The HR and recruitment circles in Dublin, and Ireland, are pretty enclosed, where everybody pretty much knows everybody. While there may not be any official communications between people working in companies, there's always the conversation over a beer where the question is asked "didn't your people have an issue with person x making some complaint about you?" and the answer is "that's right, I'd give them a wide berth". You'll just be left hanging for weeks with no response to your job application, and you'll never know why.

And this won't be written down on any interview documentation, so even if you demand feedback on your application, they're not obliged to tell you the actual reasons why - unless they're really stupid and write it down - which, lets face it, on the basis of my post already, they're quite likely to do as well.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1797239&issue_id=15391

Teacher got 1k as a result of being asked discriminatory questions at interview.

Chalk it down to experience and move on, the job market in Ireland is small

I hire people in my company and reasons for delaying making a decision
-recruitment freezes
-waiting on sign-off from above
-waiting on first choice candidate to decide

Typically for unsuccessful candidates, I give feedback to agency that evening

I do intend on making a formal complaint about the interview though. So where do I start?
Try the Equality Authority for advice, and the Equality Tribunal to submit your claim and see case histories of previous claims. I think the 'small world' suggested reasons for NOT making a claim are exaggerated. Things will not improve unless we stand up and be counted. My own view is that you might be better making your point directly to the HR director of the organisation, rather than making a claim for compo.

Thanks RainyDay,

was on to the Employment authority and got lots of info and forms from them today.
they said I could only file a complaint if I did NOT get offered the job.
so next week I'll mail the guy again and try get some kind of answer, If I have not been successful then I'll fire ahead with a complaint.

I agree with your comments, it is a small world but thats not a good enough reason to let this kind of thing go. This is my career at the end of the day.

thanks again,

Hi All,

back to haunt you with this again.

8 weeks later and still have heard nothing. Sent a mail week and a half ago to the guy and no reply.
at this stage I want to make a complaint regarding the questions at the interview but Employment Authority say I have to have received some kind of correspondance confirming that I was not being offered the job.

If they don't send me a letter or mail confirming I was not chosen I basiclly cannot lodge a complaint but how can I get a response either way??

he won't respond to an email so I highly doubt he'll be efficient enough to send me a letter!
I also heard on the grape vine that the position has still not been filled so its not like they've offered to someone else,

so what now is basiclly what I need opinions on?

Thanks,

so what now is basiclly what I need opinions on?

Honestly? You should drop the idea of taking this further. It will only cause you grief. It may also come back to bite you in the bum further down the line in your career...as already pointed out Ireland is a small place.

Chalk it down to experience and move on...life's too short.

From the questions you were asked what you should have done is this...hindsight is wonderful I know.

was I married? "Is that question relevant to the role?"
was I single? "Is that question relevant to the role?"
is that why you are so career driven? "Again, is my marital status relevant to my personal career goals?"
Am I a career girl? ...

At this point I would have stood up and said that the line of questioning was inappropriate and that I would not be continuing the interview. I would have asked to see his/her superior and if there was no one available I would have written a letter of complaint to the company concerning the interview.

It's eight weeks on now...you will find very little satisfaction from going down the legal route. All momentum has now gone. Also...why are you waiting to hear from a company who asked you these types of questions at an interview and then don't let you know the status of your application after numerous emails from yourself? Has the penny not dropped that you perhaps had a lucky escape?

Back