Household Charge

DublinTexas

can edit posts
So it’s 2nd of January and 2 things come to mind about the new household charge

Nowhere to pay
I can’t pay this charge anywhere, Fingal Council does not have any information or webpage where I can pay, neither the Department of the environment. I like to pay my taxes early. Incompetence.

I’m using more water
I always tried to minimize my water usage.
I never let it run when brushing teeth or shaving. I don’t flush like a mad person and I can’t remember the last time I filled up the bath fully.
But in the last 2 days I noticed that I’m now using more water just because “now that I have to pay for it I want it”.
I run a 1/2 full washing machine and I caught myself having the water run while brushing teeth.
Horrible, I would like to thank another incompetent government for screwing with my mind and making me waste a natural resource. What for a weak mind I sometime have.

Horrible, I would like to thank another incompetent government for screwing with my mind and making me waste a natural resource.

Fine Gael are not to blame they are trying to fix an economy so badly broken that we have the IMF in.

Fianna Fail is the party you should be angry at for "where we are",hopefully they will never again be afforded the opportunity to ruin our economy so badly that we must pay a tax to live in our own bloody house.

Jack Lynch and Fianna Fáil abolish local rates for housholders
Fine Gael introduce them ;)

The old system was a mess with exemptions and waivers and valuations and you paying twice what your neighbour paid and the next guy over paid nothing due the way his land was designated

They just straight out abolished it

Given a few years this household charge will descend into the same mess

Fine Gael are not to blame they are trying to fix an economy so badly broken that we have the IMF in.

Let's get this absolutely straight. The Irish government, with and at the behest of their mates in Brussels, is making sure that the bankers who went to the races and lost their shirts get to go home with their shirts back on their backs, dry cleaned and freshly pressed. Every man, woman, child, dog and cat in Ireland is going to pay for years and years for them.

Unfortunately I think the wheels are going to come off this one big time, meaning the european project as a whole, and we are going to end up with a heap of problems which make an punt nua and its value irrelevant.

If the euro fails then so too will the EU. After all Europe has had an historic problem of living with the germans in charge. The french are full of their own self-importance but are actually a joke. The UK has already repositioned itself along its traditional german-sceptic axis.

What do we think will happen over here in my neck of the woods (the Balkans) if the whole thing unravels? Alot of countries over here are just about on speaking terms because of their joint membership of the EU or their hope to join the club. Not 2 years ago the romanian president told the hungarian president that he was welcome to attend celebrations of hungarian national day in the predominantly ethnic-hungarian counties of Covasna and Harghita but that if he used a hungarian airforce jet to do it (as was proposed) he'd be shot down! The Serbs are hacked off about the Kosovo situation but they're being nice about it because of the attraction of the Brussels gravy-train. Both the Romanians and the Bulgarians have unfinished business with Turkey. No one cares much for the Albanians

The mind boggles really........

Fina Fail, Fine Gael, Greens, who cares, all the same to me. I don't care who missmanges the country, I just have to pay taxes here.

I finaly managed to find the offical webpage on:

www.HouseholdCharge.ie

Yes, that simple, now why did I had to bing it instead of it being on the goverments websites?

Anyhow, up to run myself a bath now because I pay for water now, so I want to use is.

Let's get this absolutely straight. The Irish government, with and at the behest of their mates in Brussels, is making sure that the bankers who went to the races and lost their shirts get to go home with their shirts back on their backs, dry cleaned and freshly pressed. Every man, woman, child, dog and cat in Ireland is going to pay for years and years for them.

Unfortunately I think the wheels are going to come off this one big time, meaning the european project as a whole, and we are going to end up with a heap of problems which make an punt nua and its value irrelevant.

If the euro fails then so too will the EU. After all Europe has had an historic problem of living with the germans in charge. The french are full of their own self-importance but are actually a joke. The UK has already repositioned itself along its traditional german-sceptic axis.

What do we think will happen over here in my neck of the woods (the Balkans) if the whole thing unravels? Alot of countries over here are just about on speaking terms because of their joint membership of the EU or their hope to join the club. Not 2 years ago the romanian president told the hungarian president that he was welcome to attend celebrations of hungarian national day in the predominantly ethnic-hungarian counties of Covasna and Harghita but that if he used a hungarian airforce jet to do it (as was proposed) he'd be shot down! The Serbs are hacked off about the Kosovo situation but they're being nice about it because of the attraction of the Brussels gravy-train. Both the Romanians and the Bulgarians have unfinished business with Turkey. No one cares much for the Albanians

The mind boggles really........

My original point stills stands,Fine Gael did not mismanage the Country to the point where we are bankrupt,that was the point I was making nothing more nothing less.

Thanks for the link to the Household Charge. I decided to register (just as I don't like not paying bills)

Put in my password - which was in the approved format - and got a (personal name) email from someone who had an out of office reply as being away until 18 Feb...! WHAT?!

There is no way I am paying this now.

Thanks for the link to the Household Charge. I decided to register (just as I don't like not paying bills)

Put in my password - which was in the approved format - and got a (personal name) email from someone who had an out of office reply as being away until 18 Feb...! WHAT?!

And here is Luceys law proven, blaming the public sector starts!

I had the same, now what is this suposed to be, a joke?

I try to pay my charges forced on me by a useless goverment (imagine the money we could save if we just install a governour of the german empire instead of our joke of a cabinet) and my goverments representative tells me that he's out of the office until the 18 of Feburary.

I demand that the real masters of this country install a governour and bring some of their paperwork pushing skills over.

I just called one of the numbers on the website to see if my estate qualifies for an exemption (it doesn't :(), and the lady told me that the full list of exempt estates will be published later this week. Category 3 and 4 estates are exempt apparently.

My original point stills stands,Fine Gael did not mismanage the Country to the point where we are bankrupt,that was the point I was making nothing more nothing less.

Yes and I agree with you. I do, however, think that Fine Gael are playing their hand in Europe in a most inept fashion.

DublinTexas - what do you mean you're now paying for water use?

That's just the question I was going to ask...

[broken link removed]

What will the household charge finance?
Revenues from the household charge will support the provision of local services. Internationally, local services are administered by local authorities and financed by local service charges. In Ireland, local authorities are responsible for, among other services, fire and emergency services, maintenance and cleaning of streets, street lighting, planning and development services, public parks, libraries, open spaces and leisure facilities, etc. These are essential local services which benefit all members of the public, including business.

DublinTexas - what do you mean you're now paying for water use?

That teaches me.. I somehow was under the impression this household charge was there to pay for my water too.

Obviously that is not the case, it's there to support my local council and their work.

So I will reduce my water usage now and try to get more usage out of my council. I just need to find out what usefull they actualy do that I could use. I mean I have never seen them cleaning my street, the burned out lamp in my estate is not repaired since month, the green area is only usedy by council workers for tea breaks and to hide from work and waiste is long chargable anyhow (and gone to a private company).

In any case, paid 100€ for whatever our overlords think they need the 100€ for.

That teaches me.. I somehow was under the impression this household charge was there to pay for my water too.

Obviously that is not the case, it's there to support my local council and their work.

So I will reduce my water usage now and try to get more usage out of my council. I just need to find out what usefull they actualy do that I could use. I mean I have never seen them cleaning my street, the burned out lamp in my estate is not repaired since month, the green area is only usedy by council workers for tea breaks and to hide from work and waiste is long chargable anyhow (and gone to a private company).

In any case, paid 100€ for whatever our overlords think they need the 100€ for.

I don’t think the local councils will be getting any extra money now that the household charge has been introduced.

The household charge will merely replace funding that was previously provided for by the government, thus saving the government money which they will send to the troika.

thus saving the government money which they will send to the troika.

I think we're still a long way off sending money to anyone, just borrowing a little less than we did last year.

Those devious Europeans making us reduce our annual sponging.......

I think we're still a long way off sending money to anyone, just borrowing a little less than we did last year.

Those devious Europeans making us reduce our annual sponging.......

Ultimately it will have to go back to them. One way or another.

Ultimately it will have to go back to them. One way or another.

Yes, people who lend money usually want it back.

This is especially the case when they lend it at about one third of what the market rate should be.

On the bright side if we told them all to get stuffed and saved ourselves €60 billion by not repaying any of our banking debt we’d then have to borrow money on the open market. That would probably be at interest rates somewhere between 12-15%. The ECB would probably cut their line of credit to our central bank (€100 billion at 1%) since we would have cause the European banking system to collapse.
Basically over a period of 5 years we’d be much worse off.

If I thought that all I’d have to pay extra was this €100 I’d be delighted but I can see my after tax household income drop by thousands again this year.

Classic :) probably one of the test users or even (terribly) one of the developers! Joined up and got a proper email response not from any named individual ... on holidays or otherwise. Seems they noticed the blip pretty quickly.

Back