Getting Married Whilst Bankrupt

Seapark

Hello - long-time reader, first-time poster.

Last April, I moved back to the UK.

I am currently re-establishing COMI before filing for bankruptcy in respect of unsecured debts exceeding £100,000.

[How those debts came about is not the subject of my post.]

We are currently living in my girlfriend's home - bought before we even knew each other.

100% of the funds to purchase her home came from both her & her family.

Unlike me, she is actually solvent, ironically :)

My difficulties in no way relate to her property - it is an entirely separate case, which is 100% in my name [and not definitely not hers].

I'm likely to be my making my formal application to the O/R in the coming months.

Simultaneously, my girlfriend & I would like to get married & soon, particularly as her parents are elderly.

How would my bankruptcy process affect the wedding? i.e.

- my girlfriend/her family/my parents would be paying the cost [it will certainly be nothing elaborate];

- any presents received [particularly cash] would be reimbursing my girlfriend/her family/my parents, etc for the cost of the day.

Would there be in any issue with O/R wrt the cash/presents receieved?

Going forward, the property would still say 100% in her name.

Opinions welcome.

How about asking guests to give any cash presents to just her ? Although that may be awkward to ask people.
I would imagine it's best to keep all your finances separate during the course of the bankruptcy .

Seapark,

your girlfriends house is safe. It can never be touched in the bankruptcy.

When you are a couple the statement of affairs asks you live list your partners income. This is so the household expenses can be divided, and then a calculation done to se if YOU have any disposable income. They cannot take any of your partners income.

Gifts to you on wedding are not attachable. They are not income.

In any event if you go bankrupt first the Or is never going to know about any of this, even your marriage. It will not be something that interests him.

Steve Thatcher

Back