Solicitors secretary told my neighbour about my confidential court case

I would want the secretary fired.
They are not suitable for the position if they are broadcasting confidential information.

I agree with you, the secretary should keep her professional and personal life separate. She should get fired so that this can not happen with any other in future. If the person can not be loyal with his job, he is not at all suitable to it.

UPDATE:

Letter went in via email, I clearly stated everything that was said to me. I asked for a response to my letter.... this is what I got:

I investigate your allegations in relation to my sectretary's misconduct blah blah blah & in all the years (he states how many) I can honestly say my secretary is telling the truth when she states she did not speak to anyone regarding your case!!!!!!!!!

Can ye believe that!?? :eek:

I wrote back saying basically im now being called a liar as is the person who told me. Stated I was FAR from impressed with the whole situation & that all the family & friends I recommended his services to, I will now have to retract same. :mad: I also told him no further correspondence was welcome & that i would never use their services again. I also mentioned that anyone who cares to listen to me will also be advised to give (comany name) a wide berth!

We live & learn! I walked away from it all... too much of a headache for me :(

Thats terrible Shootingstar - I agree with Time - complain to the Law Society.

I cant believe that they thought that was an appropriate response to such a complaint.

Official complaint time me thinks .... I agree with the last two posters.

The correspondence you received was appalling.

I'm guessing that (somewhat like the institutions of the Catholic Church), the solicitor felt they had no option other than to deny it. I'm not condoning this behaviour at all - just explaining it. Official complaint to the Law Society is the way to go.

If the matter has been properly investigated, and there is no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the secretary, perhaps the solicitor is powerless to do anything except to report accordingly to the OP, as they have done?

I presume the Law Society have guidelines for their members in how complaints should be handled and processed? If such guidelines were followed in this case, the Law Society should have no further interest in the case.

If the matter has been properly investigated, and there is no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the secretary, perhaps the solicitor is powerless to do anything except to report accordingly to the OP, as they have done?
The response didn't say that there was no evidence. It said that "my secretary is telling the truth when she states she did not speak to anyone regarding your case".

The content of the letter was paraphrased above, not quoted verbatim so without seeing the letter its impossible to tell. Notwithstanding this, my comment stands.

We live & learn! I walked away from it all... too much of a headache for me :(

Quelle surprise.

The secretary denied it to cover herself and keep her job.
It must have been a serious complaint against her job description so.

Don't think this ends there, though, because I doubt this is the first time it occurred.
This begs the question as to what relationship of trust or otherwise exists between solicitor and secretary.

You can take this to the Incorporated Law Society, but if your friend isn't going to testify truthfully about his girlfriend, its your word against hers.
You could take the matter public, finding out if his other clients have had similar experiences, but you could be unlucky and draw a chancer to yourself who just wants to annoy the solicitor.

OTOH some people find http://www.rate-your-solicitor.com/ is a great (and free) relief.
I enjoy reading it from time to time.

Hope this helps.

ONQ.

Hi

What I think is it is not always true that who is bad for others will also be bad for you. just blindly believing on the rating given by the people whom you do not know and the actual situation, you should not make the decision. Make a review from there also and try to meet the clients who have personally dealt with those Solicitors and get the actual feedback.

The solicitor has not done anything wrong. He has asked a long standing member of staff what is the truth, she said she had not spoken about your case so what is he to do.

But I wouldn't worry about it, she will probably never do it again and the solicitor is now on notice and if he ever hears a whisper that she has discussed a confidential matter he will probably have to fire her. That's not an easy thing to do and he has to follow procedures etc.

BTW if this was one of the big firms and it was say Sean Dunne/Dermot Desmond etc, I'd say she'd have been fired on the spot. But everyone makes mistakes so hopefully she's learnt from this.

Back