Check Planning Status?

rodney

Hi
We're in process of buying and have been advised to check the Planning Status of the property with our local counclil(DCC).
Does this mean simply check if there is any planning applications outstanding or something else?
Thanks

Who asked you to do this? I presume you need to check that the property has planning permission. You can do this online. Otherwise call into the planning office and ask to see the files.

No. It means check any outstanding planning permission. For example you may be thinking of buying a housing which has a condition of planning permission which requires you to do something or not do something i.e. Permission granted subject to the floor area of the extension being reduced by 4 sq m or permission granted subject that you revise the plans so that front building line is extended to adjoin that of the adjoining properties. It really depends on the case. Ultimately if the property does not comply with existing planning permission then no lending institution will give you a mortgage until such times as you can demonstrate full compliance with extant planning permission.

Normally your solicitor would do this. As you're making a huge investment I would advise that you call to the Planning Office of your Local Authority and do a planning search at the public counter. All of the information may not be available online and it is worth being thorough. The staff at the counter would be able to assist you.

Normally your solicitor would do this..

Ours didnt, they got info from the vendor saying any additions were exempted but did advise us to get a planning search done on the property to verify this as well as check for any planning applications in the area that might effect us.

Thanks, our Solicitor advised that we needed to do this.
Will call into the council office and see, have searched online and can see planning permission requests for other houses on the road but nothing near ours.

Back