Estate Agent Fees

dubmark74

Just about to put my house on the market, got a quote of 1.55% + VAT for fee when the house sells, there is an unrefundable fee of 350 for myhome.ie and other website listing.
Just wondering if anyone has sold recently and how do these fees compare.
Also anyone experience of selling without estate agent, there are a few companies doing web site listing and sign for 200. The big downside here is no myhome.ie listing. I live on a busy road, so plenty of advertising.

Any opinions appreciated.

Most estate agents are in a no lose situation. They charge up front for "advertising" - usually a fee that more than covers their expenses and time.
I was told that the likes of Daft and Myhome charge a flat rate monthly fee for each agent - between 300 and 400.
They are probably making a small profit on every house they get to sell - just on the up front fees. If they sell - they then make a massive amount. They could at least refund the up front fee if they sell !

You could try putting it on Daft.ie yourself - it's under 300 euro for a listing - no end date.

Most estate agents are in a no lose situation. They charge up front for "advertising" - usually a fee that more than covers their expenses and time.
I was told that the likes of Daft and Myhome charge a flat rate monthly fee for each agent - between 300 and 400.
They are probably making a small profit on every house they get to sell - just on the up front fees. If they sell - they then make a massive amount. They could at least refund the up front fee if they sell !

You could try putting it on Daft.ie yourself - it's under 300 euro for a listing - no end date.

I don't agree with this post.

Most estate agents are drowning in a sea of debt in a market which is barely moving. They are not in a no lose situation - they are trying to sustain a business with premises and staff - all of which costs. I doubt very much that they are making a profit on any property they manage to sell by the time you factor in expenses.

mf

+ 1 mf1

For the record, we just sold our house and the fee we paid to the estate agent was 1%. We also paid 215.00 for myhome listing (april - oct) and 200 for daft. The estate agent put in a lot of work in attending viewings, following up with potential purchasers and keeping us up to date. In total, I'd say he did the equivalent of 4 full weeks work spread out over 6 months.

We used a small independent agent rather than one of the bigger ones to ensure continuity of representation and so that we knew what we were getting.

HTH

Dubmark - I'm paying 1.5% + VAT for fee when the house sells with upfront fee of €300.

If going down the road of trying to sell yourself, then another site that offers you to advertise your house is

Try selling it yourself, get yourself an advertising board and omit the estate agent and his costly fees.

Also try this website

I've no problem selling it myself, in fact i'd prefer to do it that way. The problem is you cannot get it on myhome, everyone seems to use this site when looking for property. I know you can put it on daft, but i'm not sure this has the same number of hits. I'd be interested hear what others think. Thanks.

DIY House Sales

I've no problem selling it myself, in fact i'd prefer to do it that way. The problem is you cannot get it on myhome, everyone seems to use this site when looking for property. I know you can put it on daft, but i'm not sure this has the same number of hits. I'd be interested hear what others think. Thanks.

Went to market myself around Nov last year by posting my ad on daft etc. Got two early replies who were both keen but neither made an offer. Got an agent. He was rubbish. Pushy, arrogant and totally ineffectual. Changed agent quickly to a new agency McGuirk Beggan who were charging 1% fees which was unusually low.

In the interim my two early viewers came back and made offers. Both were as a result of my daft ad and had I accepted, I would have proceeded privately. New agents totally agreed to that.. they hadn't found those buyers. In the end, they got me a genuine offer at the asking price. Took almost 7 months though but I found them professional, honest and tenacious.

Our own circumstances had changed by then and the house we were chasing had since gone so we didn't proceed. So in the end for 7 months work, numerous viewings, ongoing advertising and a brilliant service, they got nothing out of me. I wouldn't say my experience is that unusual, so I imagine their fees reflect what they don't sell, as much as what they do.

In summary, I think it is worth having a punt yourself initially but if you don't get a bite in the first month. Get an agent - and choose wisely.

A.

about to pay a bill of 1.2% + vat, + €400 up front for advertising. Had inganother quote of 1.5% + vat and a new place was offered 1% + vat. Went with the agent who sells most in the areas and he sold it for 1.5% below the asking within 15 days (and achieved the amount he told me he'd get for it) so well worth the investment.

This is an old thread and I am hoping to resurrect it a little. I am thinking of putting a property on the market and want to avoid costly estate agent fees where possible. i am not under any great pressure to sell so can take my time on the matter. i have done some research and came across www.sellityourself.ie but I notice they don't advertise on the main websites such as daft.ie or myhome.ie. Today I came across www.theauctioneer.ie who for a small fee I think €500 for a basic package will advertise your property on the main property websites and provide you with a for sale sign, they also sell other packages to include the organising the ber ratings certificate,(not sure what that entails) and for the sale negotiating process.

My question basically is what are the pitfalls with selling yourself rather than handing out costly fees to an estate agent who will most likely photograph your home with a smart phone and paste them on daft etc for the costly price of 1.5 to 2% of the property price when online services such as the above will do it for a fraction of the price. I have a friend living locally who is willing to undertake the viewing process for me.

We actually sold 2 properties this year after advertising them on Done Deal for the sum of €3 each, no estate agent.

We advertised one of the houses with an estate agent in Summer of 2013 at the cost of 300 euro for advertising and 1.75% commission on the sale. The house was only viewed by 1 couple and the estate agent was 20 minutes late meeting them... After 5 months we took the house off the market. Then in December 2013 we advertised the 2nd house on Done Deal [we figured we could not do any worse than the estate agent], and we decided on a selling price that we would be happy with. I think we 'bumped' it up 2 times, on Done Deal, so the full cost of advertising was 9 euro. The second couple that viewed the house asked what was the lowest we would accept. We [my husband actually] told them and a few hours later they put in an offer for the asking price. They sent the deposit to our solicitor and 3 months later the final contracts were signed. It was my husband that showed the house to the couple. We had other people responding to our advertisement but we had a made a deal with the first couple and we did not try to 'bump' up the price. We then decided to try Done Deal with the 1st house and that sold as well.

If you want to avoid EA charges just avoid EAs, and sell it yourself. If you're in an area of a riding market, or are in no rush to sell, just sell it yourself.
"It's a no brainer", as Duncan Stewart would say.
I used Daft.ie about ten years ago to sell a site. Easy-peasy.

Back