Motor quick question - house broke in and car robbed?

TillyD

Hi,

Last night our house was broke into and the keys of the car only were robbed and the car. The car and house is insured but the house alarm wasnt on is our car still insured.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. Check your house and car insurance policy documents to see if they clarify matters maybe?

Hi,

Last night our house was broke into and the keys of the car only were robbed and the car. The car and house is insured but the house alarm wasnt on is our car still insured.

Thanks.
Do a search on aam - as I'm sure this aspect of house insurance has come up before. People in the past have suggested not declaring an alarm when getting cover - as if it's not on when you get burgled, it gives the insurance co. a way out. I'm not sure if that applies if you were in the house at the time (were you??) or just when house is unoccupied.

As clubman said, check your policy. Otherwise, I would be inclined to be very cautious what you say to the insurance company - and get advise from an independent insurance assessor first.

We were a sleep in our beds when it happened. I rang the insurance company and they never asked about the house alarm. Guards doesnt seem to think it will be a issue.

Thanks guys.

The house not being alarmed would have no bearing on your claim. I'm assuming though the claim is under your motor policy?

Yes pete, it's under our car insurance. In my panic this morning, I was worried they may have asked is the house alarm and that this may affect my claim but they don't so I should get some of my money back. Sweet F'all I'd imagine. Bought the car 11 months ago.

Expensive lesson learnt put alarm on during the night.

I should get some of my money back. Sweet F'all I'd imagine. Bought the car 11 months ago.
They will give book value - not the value that you insured it for. Many people forget to keep reducing the value of the car when they renew their premium each year.
Yes pete, it's under our car insurance. In my panic this morning, I was worried they may have asked is the house alarm and that this may affect my claim but they don't.....Expensive lesson learnt put alarm on during the night.
Others on here in the past have suggested that if an alarm is declared when they calculate your premium but not used at the time of the break-in - then no dice (if they play hard ball with you...subjective to the insurance co. and their assessors). As regards their assessors, they can be ruthless wotsits to deal with - so be aware of that - before they come to deal with you - if they have not already done so.

<EDIT> sorry - just re-read your original post. I see this only affects your car (nothing else taken) - so no nasty surprises in store for you...</EDIT>

Back