Reason you wont be protesting on the 10th December

God , what a brilliant gift , not so much that you can spot pensioners but to sit in front of a TV set & to be able to spot the unemployed but uncannily you can tell that they are long term unemployed as well.

How do you do it , does the TV emit an aura of some sort or do they look like the kind of people that should be unemployed ?

It's one a dem new smart TV's ;)

God , what a brilliant gift , not so much that you can spot pensioners but to sit in front of a TV set & to be able to spot the unemployed but uncannily you can tell that they are long term unemployed as well.

How do you do it , does the TV emit an aura of some sort or do they look like the kind of people that should be unemployed ?

Post #114 ;)

Any chance of this weekend's lotto numbers ?:)

Sure what would you need the money for, aren't you one of the lucky ones :p

Post #114 ;)

Sure what would you need the money for, aren't you one of the lucky ones :p

That certainly explains that you felt that the long term unemployed were hugely well represented in the march , it doesn't explain how you reached this conclusion from the snap shots on TV - you can't kid us , you are blessed with second sight !

Thanks to the blessings of working in a hugely unionised workforce Until unfeasibly early retirement I certainly am one of the lucky ones !

Aside from the obvious untruth of what Clare Daly said (Alan Kelly looked remarkably prosaic about the whole shebang), that whimpering and cowering remark was deeply unpleasant, particularly given Primetime on Tuesday showing people actually "whimpering and cowering". If someone is whimpering and cowering and you have caused it then that is a sign that your behaviour has moved beyond any reasonable bounds. It is more shame on you than shame on them.

As for the astounding claims that the protest is "true democracy" or the equally ridiculous claim that the people have spoken and they have said no. It can only be considered "true democracy" if all sides are aired, unless you are a fan of "democracy" North Korean style of course. You can be very sure that no anti-anti-Irish Water speakers were invited. You can be very sure that if they were they would have been heckled (at the very least). You can be very sure that if someone chose to turn up with a "Yes Water Charges" banner they too would have found themselves on the receiving end of some less than democratic behaviour. The people have spoken - they got that much right, more have registered than not. The protest, whether you take a sensible, reasoned guesstimate or go with the egregious figure peddled by the organisers or even split the difference, does not constitute a majority and does not represent "the people". I agree with Purple, I am not a fan of the low, flat charge, I think that metred usage was the sensible and logical way to go but that doesn't mean that I think we should not progress and get this thing finally in place. The sooner the better.

And then to cap it all they had so screwed up the city centre that it took many hours for Dublin Bus in particular to recover and get the buses back on track - not pleasant when you have to get across the city having spent the day in work.

Maybe they should organise the next protest for Croke Park, that way at least you could count people through the turnstiles :)

Big +1 to that. For all the hyperbole spouted I seriously doubt there will be any further concessions - whatever about Labour but I cant see that FG would bother trying to convert any of the protester types in FG voters - they remainder are so far out there there's no point in trying to reason with them.

Like that line "Dont argue with a fool, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". No offence intended, that's just the quote - but in line with other posters I do have a problem with the senseless traffic blockers and am not sure why we are humouring them (dont want to make martyrs out of them either - could we just drench them and let them shiver there??).

I have reservations on the setting up of Irish water but the whole camapign has been hijacked by the fringe left.

I think we need to look at stuff like the water regulator and water infrastucture.

But it has tuned into a cheap political football.

That certainly explains that you felt that the long term unemployed were hugely well represented in the march , it doesn't explain how you reached this conclusion from the snap shots on TV - you can't kid us , you are blessed with second sight !

Gee, thanks!

You can't seem to follow basic replies, understand the timelines of the day or even understand who some of the dangerous groupings that were marching with you yesterday are (Eirigi aren't exactly a secret organisation)!
You don't seem to grasp that deliberately blocking the traffic routes yesterday was just an act of spite on the part of some protesters. That is exactly what they did by sitting on the Luas line and the bridge. You just keep going back to clappy handy love-is-in-the-air Woodstock type talk of peaceful protesters and smiling Gardai, while repeating that you are a hard working man (which I am too but was'nt able to get home as normal because of illegal activity by a bunch of thugs who were allowed get away with it by a benign police force)

It appears that though you were around there at the time, you didn't grasp what was happening.

Peace man!

Why resort to a belittling post like this and making false accusations against me?

If you would care to re-read my posts,I said I was in town on business.I walked along O,Connell Street at 5pm yesterday after having a meeting in town.I watched peacefull protestors protesting and having a bit of banter and friendly conversation with several gardai,as I was walking past.
I was not marching with the protestors or any protestors in any part of Dublin City Centre so please kindly withdraw that accusation.

I also do not know who Eirigi are or is.
The 1st time I heard of them or whoever they are was when you posted that name in your post on the previous page.
So again I will ask you not to make up things to say about me,so please stop it.

Your posts are becomming more and more of a mocking and belittling type and I dont like how you are posting in this manner.

Also is it right for you to call people thugs when you do not know any of those people who were both male and female protestors.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...ut-awarding-of-water-meter-contract-1.2033498

Whatever about paying for water I'd like to see some clarity around how the water meter contract was awarded.

Some things will never change,even though change was prommised.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/a...-more-trouble-for-the-taoiseach-26838745.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...buying-siteserv-very-questionable-290751.html

So does Dennis O'Brien who owns Siteserv have good friends in Fine Gael?
Honest question.

Let's all reflect for a moment.

LOS is not a forum to attack a person.

Attack an opinion by all means :) - as per posting guidelines.

It's tough down here in LOS. You have to be brave to post here.

But please remember the posting guideline as mentioned in this post.

Attack the opinion - not the poster.

Regards

Marion

I preferred the old payments system. It was fairer as it was based on consumption, though the allowances were too low. The new charge won't help to reduce usage.
This reflects my view entirely. When the county councils introduced meters and water charges for business and rural dwellers (farmers and their neighbours) nearly 10 years ago there was an immediate and dramatic drop in consumption. Much is spoken about public side leaks but there are very substantial private side losses as well. I considered protesting the impostion of flat charges!

This reflects my view entirely. When the county councils introduced meters and water charges for business and rural dwellers (farmers and their neighbours) nearly 10 years ago there was an immediate and dramatic drop in consumption. Much is spoken about public side leaks but there are very substantial private side losses as well. I considered protesting the impostion of flat charges!

100% agree. It was such a PR disaster though I think they threw the kitchen sink at it.

I thought though that if you still used less than the flat charge, you'd pay less - that isnt quite the same as metering though because once you're over the limit it doesnt matter beyond that - which is where the waste comes into it.

100% agree. It was such a PR disaster though I think they threw the kitchen sink at it.

I thought though that if you still used less than the flat charge, you'd pay less - that isnt quite the same as metering though because once you're over the limit it doesnt matter beyond that - which is where the waste comes into it.

It's probably the one charge / tax that should have been charged as designed, on a usage basis, but sadly it was for many, the straw that broke the camel's back. Now it will probably be under funded for years when other areas of public spending are relatively flush with money, pardon the pun.

We were there yesterday at the Dublin City protest,a good turnout organized on facebook and social media and a nice peacefull protest too.Everyone we met and chatted to was in a good humor and it was allmost like a carnival atmosphere with all the other families we walked along side and chatted with.
Next protest will be in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were there yesterday at the Dublin City protest,a good turnout organized on facebook and social media and a nice peacefull protest too.Everyone we met and chatted to was in a good humor and it was allmost like a carnival atmosphere with all the other families we walked along side and chatted with.
Next protest will be in March.
Just out of interest, what alternative proposal is being put forward by the anti-water charges groups?
Even the Shinners are saying that a single utility is the way to go. Mary Loo was on Moaning Ireland on the Public Sector Broadcaster this morning and said that it could be funded through business rates. She was evasive as ever when asked if she was in favour of increasing rates. She seems to think the money can be magiced up from the same place they will fund the rest of their policies. I don’t know why I’m still surprised when anyone from the Loony Left can’t get past the second question on their economic policies.

It was real quality from Mary Lou this morning alright.
  • Yes we want a single utility to manage water.
  • Yes we realise this means the state can only fund up to 50% and the other 50% has to be sourced
  • No we don't want the public billed to fund the other 50%.
  • No we don't want existing commercial rates increased to fund it either.
  • No I can't explain where the remaining funding will come from, however I'll throw in a few vague terms such as "we'll put in place some formula".
Her last few comments were telling - basically it sounded like she was saying that if funding could not be found then the service would suffer and "we would have to cut our cloth to measure", nice one Mary Lou, good to know where you stand on it now!

I don’t know why I’m still surprised when anyone from the Loony Left can’t get past the second question on their economic policies.

That's it for me. People on the Left, IMO, generally have good intentions. They advocate equality, helping the poor and such. Quite laudable. However what happens when asked how it would be funded?

Tumbleweed.

Id like to clarify that Im not a SF member or even a SF loyal follower.I actually voted FG into power at the last election based on alot of promises that are now just endless lies.:(
Im a member of the TEEU and thats it.I have to be a member due to the nature of my work and career.
Im a working class person,as is my wife.
The main reason we marched in protest was the fact that neither myself or my wife have any more money to give at this stage.When the property tax rate cap is lifted in a few years time,and when the real cost the property tax and cost of water charges are seen in 2017 and 2018,then both myself and my wife will quite possibly be on the bread line,unless things change for the better very quickly.

Im not going to be lulled into this trap of handing over all my details for a 100 euro allowance.
I also protested on Saturday because I want a better future for my daughter and my grand-kids in the years to come.I dont want them to be in a world of endless government bills and pay huge tax after huge tax after huge tax and have no money for themselves to enjoy their lives with.

Several of the young and middle aged familes that we chatted to are of the same thinking and thought,as to why they marched and protested on Saturday.
All of us had just had enough at this stage.I know that myself and my wife have had enough and we have no more to give.

Thats the gods honest truth Mr Kenny and Miss Burton,if you really are listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id like to clarify that Im not a SF member or even a SF loyal follower.I actually voted FG into power at the last election based on alot of promises that are now just endless lies.:(
Im a member of the TEEU and thats it.I have to be a member due to the nature of my work and career.
Im a working class person,as is my wife.
The main reason we marched in protest was the fact that neither myself or my wife have any more money to give at this stage.When the property tax rate cap is lifted in a few years time,and when the real cost the property tax and cost of water charges are seen in 2017 and 2018,then both myself and my wife will quite possibly be on the bread line,unless things change for the better very quickly.

Im not going to be lulled into this trap of handing over all my details for a 100 euro allowance.
I also protested on Saturday because I want a better future for my daughter and my grand-kids in the years to come.I dont want them to be in a world of endless government bills and pay huge tax after huge tax after huge tax and have no money for themselves to enjoy their lives with.

Several of the young and middle aged familes that we chatted to are of the same thinking and thought,as to why they marched and protested on Saturday.
All of us had just had enough at this stage.I know that myself and my wife have had enough and we have no more to give.

Thats the gods honest truth Mr Kenny and Miss Burton,if you really are listening.

Hi Flowerman, can I ask why people aren't marching to have the 2000 excess and unnecessary staff in Irish Water who cost us €92,000,000 a year laid off?
Why not also march to have the other tens of thousands of superfluous people employed by the state laid off? That would save hundreds of millions a year and save us all a multiple of the cost of the water tax, even after we employed some of those numbers in areas that need them.

Back