Other Mobile phone insurance (CPP)

T

tuppe

My son dropped his trousers with his phone in the pocket in the washing bin and I washed it without checking his pockets first. Of course the the phone (Galaxy Ace) does not work anymore, so I tried to claim it from CPP.

They just informed me that they will not cover this claim since "even though the phone is covered for accidents, we did not take reasonable precautions".

If someone other than my son dropped the trousers in the washing, it would have been fine, but since he did it himself, they will not cover it.

So, remember people. If something similar happens to you, lie!

Why lie? The terms and conditions of the insurance would have been issued with the policy, and so the insurers are declining the claim for legitimate reasons. Lying in the insurance industry to get cover results in prices being pushed up for everybody else. That's true for motor, home, contents etc.

Unfortunately, many people do this. OK, it might not be nice to feel out of pocket, but please don't falsify claims.

(I work in the insurance industry, but NOT anything to do with underwriting/claims, my comments above are personal feelings)

If it is stipulated in the terms and conditions, then fine. But if in the end it comes down to what they feel is reasonable precaution, then you are always at their mercy.

But you still shouldn't lie.....

Do you not feel that checking contents of pockets (especially for something like a mobile phone which is relatively bulky in comparison to say a monetary note) is a reasonable precaution?

Have you tried claiming on your contents insurance? If you have all risks peril it may cover you.....

Back