Motor Car Insurance - Flood Water Damage

J

Jikan

Hi,

I was driving home last night and drove into a deep flood water puddle (lake) the car was stranded and I had to get towed home. There is still not a peep out of it today.

I have not yet had it assessed by a garage but if I do what are the implications for my car insurance ? If it is badly damaged or written off (ie. water after getting into the engine) can I claim against my comprehensive car insurance with FBD ?

Secondly, my car is currently out of NCT, due to my NCT appointment being in September when I rang to book it in May. Will the lack of an NCT affect any insurance claim ?

Regards,
Jikan.

you should be able to claim under comprehensive. Implications are that your NCB will be affected.

NCT may cause problems if the assessor/insurer feel that the car was not in roadworthy condition before you hit the flood.

That would include condition of tyres, brakes, steering etc.

Hi I have just drove my car into a flood yesterday evening and my engin is full of water I have insurance fully comp with First Ireland and was just wondering if anyone knew if it was covered.?

First Ireland is a broker! Why dont you just give them a shout and they'll advise you!

Hi,

I was driving home last night and drove into a deep flood water puddle (lake) the car was stranded and I had to get towed home. There is still not a peep out of it today.

I have not yet had it assessed by a garage but if I do what are the implications for my car insurance ? If it is badly damaged or written off (ie. water after getting into the engine) can I claim against my comprehensive car insurance with FBD ?

Secondly, my car is currently out of NCT, due to my NCT appointment being in September when I rang to book it in May. Will the lack of an NCT affect any insurance claim ?

Regards,
Jikan.

Not insinuating or making any general remarks, but from my view of looking at flood claims over the last 3 weeks..

- either the majority of people don't have an NCT on their vehicle
- either the majority of people are selling their cars (or trying to)

the majority of people who are having flood claims fall into one of the above brackets.

Just some observations.

re

Hi, just wondered how things ended up with your claim with Fbd. I Am in same situation now and will be claiming during the week. did the insurance want to see any photos of the car in the flood or want to see where it happened or any proof of what happened. just want to be prepared when going dealing with them.

Hi,

Regards,
Jikan.

They may want to see where it happened, especially if there were no other similar type claims for the period. You will need to co-operate and possibly visit scene with their investigator. they will want their assessor to see the car to assess the damage.

If in any doubt, tell the truth!

Back