Motor insurance company won't Temp. Transfer Car Insurance.

mc-BigE

just rang my insurance company about transfering my motor insurance for a few hours to my mother-in-laws car. and i was told to contact her insurance company and get my name put on her insurance?

I've done it this way for years and this is the first time they've asked me to do this way.

i can drive her car third party only if i want , but not to happy about doing this.

i don't want to bother my mother-in-law by getting her to ring her insurance company and put me on as she is ill.

also would her company charge for doing this?

is this normal?

Her company would more than likely charge. It depends on your age, licence type, claims, etc.

Again re temp transfer is she driving something much bigger in size to your own? They would normally do it. But with a charge if the above is the case and the risk is increased.

just rang my insurance company about transfering my motor insurance for a few hours to my mother-in-laws car. and i was told to contact her insurance company and get my name put on her insurance?

I've done it this way for years and this is the first time they've asked me to do this way.

i can drive her car third party only if i want , but not to happy about doing this.

i don't want to bother my mother-in-law by getting her to ring her insurance company and put me on as she is ill.

also would her company charge for doing this?

is this normal?

Yes that would be correct.

The vehicle is insured elsewhere, so why would your insurance company want to cover it ?

In the event of a claim it becomes messy (dual insurance)

As it's already covered, there's no obligation for your insurance company to cover it.

Her company would probably charge as you being male ?, would be perceived to be a greater risk.

Yes it is normal to do this.

I would have though it very unlikely they would charge anything for a temporary addition once you have a full license and your own insurance policy.

I had the same problem last year when my car was off the road and I wanted to borrow my sisters car. She was able to add me on to their policy for 4 days at no charge, even after telling them I would be taking the car to the UK.

every company is different. And most charge at least an admin charge of €30.

POTY - what are you trying to say?

the car is insured under mother in laws policy. he transfers cover for the car to his policy. How is mother in laws policy involved if there is an accident?

The only way it would be involved, would be if he was a named driver on her policy and if that was the case, he wouldn't need to transfer at all.

As PeteB says, most companies will do a temporary substitution and some charge a fee. Did you tell them some story or did you simply say you wanted to say a temporary substitution?

Back