Public vs Private Sale

tea4one

Hi Folks,
I was chatting to an estate agent recently about a house I liked (I have booked an appointment to view it). The estate agent mentioned that the person selling the house did not want to advertise it on Daft.ie etc. but preferred to sell it private.

This strikes me as strange. If someone is selling their house surely they would want to bring it to the attention of a lot of potential buyers to obtain a good price for it etc?

Call me skeptical, but is there any underhanded reason why one would not want to advertise their house publicly for sale?

Thanks.

Possibly he does not want to sell, but the Bank does.
Advertise to show intent only.

I've read that "up to 30%" of properties bought/sold are "off market".

My sister bought such an apartment in Dublin early this year, for about 40% less than what it cost the seller five years ago. He didn't what people to know that he was selling it.

A friend of mine bought his home about six years ago. It too was "off market". He'd mentioned in casual conversation to someone "in the know" that he was house hunting. Said person said, "you know who's got a house that he's thinking of selling... I could put you in contact".
It's a bit like the jobs market. There are a lot more vacancies out there than get advertised. Many get filled (sold) before they're commonly known about.

BTW, you've probably seen a different post on this, but a lot of houses that are "on the market" are not for sale.

Ok, thanks for the replies folks.

Hi Drakon,
Yes, I have seen one or two cases where a house was on the market yet "not for sale". I actually posted on this topic quite recently....very frustrating when you are genuinely looking to buy a house but find out that there are a lot of games going on between buyers, sellers and banks.

I think it happens a fair bit. Some people are very private and do not want their neighbours to know that they are selling. They tell them afterwards.

It's a great opportunity for a buyer, so go for it.

Brendan

Happens all the time.

Some people do it for privacy, some for security on an empty house.

For whatever reason, you will often find that an estate agent will have certain properties for sale that they will be instructed not to advertise. Indeed in the last few years when I was viewing properties to buy, one estate agent showed me his unadvertised properties which would have met my criteria. He had a folder full of properties and of those, he showed me a select few. I thought I knew pretty much every house that was for sale where I wanted to buy but had my eyes opened!

Back