Home insurance for old house pre 1830

tmundy

Hi - i am due to renew my house isurance 2013 cost €950. Last year there was only one insurer wlling to insure houses of this age. Any idea where I might get a better quotation or even a second quotation?

A number of insurers should quote, as long as the house has been rewired/replumbed in the last 15 or 20 years.

insurance options for 1830s house

I will try them out and let you know. Any other ideas out there? I cant understand what everyone else in a pre 1830 house is doing. mine is a terraced house like hundreds of others in Dublin.

beg to differ, Ecclesiastical do house insurance

No offence but have you actually looked at a heritage application form or a summary of cover? A household policy it ain't! Its geared towards building of architectural significance. Like a stately home with an art collection. Effectively business cover. Not a terraced house in Dublin! And definitely not a property that is purely residential in its nature.

insurance options for 1830s house

Hi no offence taken - unfortunately I have two problems - the front of the terrace is protected by the council local plan (Architectural Conservation area - dunlaoighre rathdown) but eitherway I am caught by the lack of insurers willing to insure a propert that is pre 1860 (I think that is the age they use as a cut off) i just checked with Eccleasiastical insurance and they will only covr houses with a value greater than 2 million so not suitable. My house has been rewired and replumbed but not reroofed as no need.

They won't. That usually restricted to post 1890.

The ever sure product will cover properties between 1800 and 1919 as long as the roof, electrics and plumbing has been replaced in the last 20 years. It might be worth submitting to them if you can prove the roof is in good order as it sounds like the electrics and plumbing have been replaced.

Hi peterb thanks for replying - where would I get a quote fo an evensure product? re the roof - the only proof I can give is no leakage issues.

We deal with them tmundy. I'll drop them a mail in the afternoon and see if there is any leeway with the roof issue. Can you confirm the house has been rewired and replumbed in the last 20 years?

Hi Jimbobp,
Thank you very much for doing this. The house ws completly rewired and replumbed in 2001 by our builder.

Hi Tmundy, The insurance company want to know if the roof has ever been inspected by a qualified builder or property surveyor?

Hi - unfortunately we have not had the roof surveyed. Our builder 10 years ago hust said it was fine at the time but like any old roof Im sure it isnt perfect. no leaks though. Would you know where I could get someone to do a check or are they likely to recommend work in any case as it is old. I cant afford a full re roof at this stage.

Tmundy

My house is over 200 years old and we've been insured with RSA for the last few years.

When we moved in 8 years ago we had to get a surveyor out to do a report for the insurer. We didn't use RSA originally, so I presume my broker just forwarded the report on to them.

You can't get online quotes for houses over 100 years old, so using a broker is your best bet. Save you a lot of hassle.

Just bumping this post to ask about quotations because Aviva just hiked our premium 16% in a year (via broker). Is it really true (how Irish!) that you cannot get a direct quote for a house over 100 years old? This seems absurd. I've only lived here for 23 years but I do find some things bizarre even now.

who said you couldnt get a quote direct? Some one said online. That is because it has to fit certain criteria. Non-standard properties will require a review by a person as opposed to a tick box acceptance criteria.

Just bumping this post to ask about quotations because Aviva just hiked our premium 16% in a year (via broker). Is it really true (how Irish!) that you cannot get a direct quote for a house over 100 years old? This seems absurd. I've only lived here for 23 years but I do find some things bizarre even now.

Yet the older houses are much better built than most of the houses that went up during the building boom. I can see my house being around for another 200 years. You can't say the same for the others. :rolleyes:

Back