Dubrovnik, Croatia - Tips/Recommendations.

gocall01

Hi All,

We (2+2) are hoping to go to Croatia for a week in the beginning of May.
I have read a few threads here but they generally date from 2010.

So I am wondering if there are up-to-date tips/recommendations for the Dubrovnik and surrounding area for that time of year.
Also interested in accomodation feedback.

Cheers,
gocall01.

Hi, went in 2008. Stayed in Cavtat at Hotel Villa Kvaternik, and got the water-taxi to Dubrovnik and back on day trips. Very nice accomodation (b&b), you can swim down at the little harbour area. Also stayed at the Franciscan monastery, very basic & cheap. Priest was a friendly man, they ran classical concerts there during the week, worth going to. Can't imagine it would have changed all that much since 2010. Enjoy.

May is a good time to travel. Warm but not too hot. Also you will avoid the peak season which can get very busy. Accommodation in the old city is hard to come by. You'll find lots of nice hotels in Babin Kuk which is a suburb of the new city. It's about a 10 min Bus ride from the old city. We would recommend Hotel Argosy as it's good value even it's a little old fashioned. If you want something a bit more upmarket try the neighbouring Valamar Dubrovnik President.

Plitvice lakes in central Croatia are one of the most amazing places I have ever been. I'm guessing over 400km from Dubrovnik though. I travelled the area a few years ago backpacking. Dubrovnik is stunning but can get overly crowded in peak season. The islands, Hvar, Korcala, Brac are meant to be nice but I have not been. I just looked at the map and Mostar in Bosnia is only about 50 miles away and is beautiful.

the islands are well worth a day trip...you can get the regular ferry service that the locals use rather than a tourist boat. But go early to give yourself plenty of time...we went to Korcula. Lovely monastery there that you can get a local water taxi out to see. We did'nt give ourselves enough time on the island and really regret that

the walk around the walls of Dubrovnik is beuatiful

There are no sandy beaches around so Cavtat pebble beach is as good as it gets in that area. Bit of nightlife around there also

Mostar in Bosnia is a 2hr drive with the local bus company going there and back every day. It has that historic bridge which got partially destroyed during the war. Nice place

Hi All,

We (2+2) are hoping to go to Croatia for a week in the beginning of May.
I have read a few threads here but they generally date from 2010.

So I am wondering if there are up-to-date tips/recommendations for the Dubrovnik and surrounding area for that time of year.
Also interested in accomodation feedback.

Cheers,
gocall01.
See if you can find the 'hole in the wall' bar which is the city wall and has a great location overlooking the water.

Just logged in to post about the hole in the wall bar but ive been beaten to it! its a great spot , probably the best view from a bar I have even seen

Thanks to all so far, it looks like we won't be short for a "to do list" anyway.

Keep firing away with the info if there is more...

Cheers.

Just logged in to post about the hole in the wall bar but ive been beaten to it! its a great spot , probably the best view from a bar I have even seen

+1 ..it is an awesome view - definitely worth a visit .. the drinks are a little pricey and the staff a little surly but it is well worth a stop for the view ... I think there's actually two similar bars on the same street .. though I've only been to the hole in the wall one - which I think is called "Cold Drinks" simply

Restaurant wise:

Had a great lunch here - - up one of the alleys off the main street

Also [broken link removed] was decent on a lovely square infront of the Jesuit Church - ..

This place is a local institution in the best sense of the word that's stayed the same despite the tourist hoards - .. Lots of nice seafood

There are lots of fairly crap touristy places so it probably pays to do a bit of research anyway

For drinks the "Troubador Jazz Cafe" was a cool place to sit in the evening with live music - https://plus.google.com/118040014081926706227/about?gl=uk&hl=en

We booked the following accomodation from HomeAwayHolidayRentals ; Property 401681. The owner organised a taxi to collect us from the airport and with a bus stop accross the road no need to hire a car.
Apartment is in an excellent location 10 mins outside the old town. I have no connection to the owners/site mentioned just the memories of one of the best holidays we have had in recent years.

EvilDrK,
Thanks, good info there but the first link is broken as far as I can see.

Metallo,
This is a brilliant option IMO, will have to see if the boss agrees with me.

Cheers,
Ger.

The place is called Lucin Kantun ... from Memory it's up the 2nd alley running South off the main street if you're coming from the Pile Gate

has more info about it - edited the original post with this

Back