Warning ROS staff not getting it right all the time

Harry31

Last year we got a refund of approx € 450 for husband & € 60 wife for years 2009 & 2010.

We completed online again this year & they had a couple queries - DIRT from any bank accounts etc. fair enough (if they wanted to see I got 6 cent interest that's fine!), not much anyway & any interest we did have from CU we paid dirt on & sent in the certs. We got balancing statements for 2009 & 2010 & they said we owed € 600 & €400 for those years & this would be deducted from our allowances for 2012 & 2013.

On looking again at our statements we couldn't figure out how we owed any money as we had given the exact same information for but the figures quoted for our liability were different on the certs we received. We queried it & they emailed to say - sorry, the person I handed the file to input the figures put them in the wrong columns & on checking we don't owe anything.

So I would advise people to be aware that it's important to check & double check what the revenue office are issuing to them & if in doubt ask them to spell it out to you.

Thanks Harry31. This happened me too. They were doing my 2006 tax returns and put Rent Received in the wrong column. I got a tax bill for €3k. Got the shock of my life. Luckily I have an accountant who was able to sort it out with them. They eventually sent me the correct tax assessment, at the FOURTH attempt ! You're right. They don't always get it right. You need to keep an eye on things

... You're right. They don't always get it right. You need to keep an eye on things
and just to emphasise what Revenue say on pretty much all their documents. tax is the tax-payer's responsibility and you need to ensure allowances, credits, arrears, sums and adjustments are correct. Telling Revenue they got it wrong if you under-pay by a serious amount is unlikely to gain you much sympathy.

Back