Job of enumerator Census 2011

BOXtheFOX

Can someone clarify what the job of the Census Enumerator is? Is it simply leaving the form with the householder or is there something more required? The reason why I ask is that I have received a leaflet in my letterbox with various lines highlighted in pink marker, "Please call or text me" and the word "Urgent" handwritten on the form. Can it not just be posted through the letterbox?

Apparently not. I live in a block of 5 apartments and during the last census I was the only person answering my door when the enumerator called. As we're not meant to allow people in to the apartment block to knock on people's doors I offered to take the forms and give them to the other occupants or to let her into the lobby so she could put them in their post boxes. She told me she had to hand them personally to each resident.

The enumerator called to me last week (not sure if she'd tried before) and as well as handing me the form, she recorded my name and asked how many males and females I expected to be in the house on census night. She also offered me the choice of the form in Irish or English, and entered some reference numbers on the form before handing it to me. I was asked if I needed any guidance on how to complete the form.

I was speaking to someone working as an enumerator, he mentioned that they have to make every effort to contact the resident before resorting to putting the form through the letterbox.

Leaving it in the letterbox is a last resort.
They need to check if you will be there on the census night, how many people normally live there, see what language you want the form in, deal with any questions, etc.

They will also want to try to get a contact name & number to make collecting the form easier.

The enumerator called to me last week (not sure if she'd tried before) and as well as handing me the form, she recorded my name and asked how many males and females I expected to be in the house on census night. She also offered me the choice of the form in Irish or English, and entered some reference numbers on the form before handing it to me. I was asked if I needed any guidance on how to complete the form.

I was speaking to someone working as an enumerator, he mentioned that they have to make every effort to contact the resident before resorting to putting the form through the letterbox.

Same here. Was also offered advice on when our house was built in the event that we didn't know.

I don't understand why they ask how many people normally reside there. If there's a valid reason for the question, it should be on the census form.

I don't understand why they ask how many people normally reside there. If there's a valid reason for the question, it should be on the census form.
If there are more than 6, you would need an extra form

What happens if I bring over a group of students that night. I mean if I dont have enough room on the form. Or if say a family of 4 have 3 unexpected visitors? I am just wondering, I suppose there is some plan in place.

Can someone clarify the following. The Census Enumerator called today with the form. I said that I probably will not be here on the night of the Census but I was not sure. He insisted that I fill out a FORM E immediately there and then on the doorstep. When I asked was it possible for me to keep the Form E and post it in when I found out if I was going to be here or not, nearer the 10th of April. He said "No". It must be filled out now. He said that he has had two or three of these already and they(my neighbours) didn't have a problem. In otherwords why was I having a problem. I explained to him that I wasn't going to fill out a Form E now because as I had explained I was not sure if I was going to be at home on the night of the Census.

He then handed me the standard census form and ticked his records to indicate that he had given this to me. So on his records he has recorded that I will be at home on the night of the Census despite me saying that I might not be.

Must I fill out this Form E now, 10 days before Census night?

I noticed that the Census Form has no way to seal it like they way you could in previous Census. Why? All as some one has to do is open it and read it like a book.
It was a neighbour of mine who delivered my form. When I asked for an envelope I was told that he didn't have any envelopes that he was having problems. His wife was sick???? He was only supposed to be spending two hours a day doing this job.

All because I asked for an envelope?

You are entitled to an envelope but He will still read the form regardless.

Same applies to those that post them back, the form is returned through the network of regional and local supervisors to the individual enumerator so that he/she can do their totals. Thinking the enumerator won't see the contents is not true.

I cannot believe that bundles of paper are going to be delivered out to some enumerators house in suburbia from the CSO for recording purposes and then sent back to the CSO again. Every form has a reference code on it for a reason.

That is to keep the public placated. The reality is as I have stated above.

I did the job back in 2002. I had several forms posted back to the CSO direct. My supervisor gave them back to me so I could do my totals and get credit for the form.

Having worded on a number of Census, that is definitely not the procedure.

If the householder wants to keep his details confidential from the enumerator, he fills out the census form and posts it back to CSO, in an envelope supplied by the enumerator marked "H" on the back. - "H" as in hide.
The completed census form is sent to the relevant supervisor and they put the basic details as to number of male and females in the household on a form H and give it to the enumerator. The census form is not given to the enumerator, nor are any other details of the householder.

. He insisted that I fill out a FORM E immediately there and then on the doorstep. When I asked was it possible for me to keep the Form E and post it in when I found out if I was going to be here or not, nearer the 10th of April. He said "No". It must be filled out now. .

Must I fill out this Form E now, 10 days before Census night?

What is a Form E? Is this some sort of mini census and why must it be completed immediately? What happens if you fill it in now and your plans change before Census night?

I was disappointed to discover that because I will be on a 3 day break out of the country over the weekend of the census I don't count at all. Sorry I even mentioned it to my census person, had to sign a different form and don't get to fill census at all. This is a bit annoying as yes I know I will be away on the actual night but I am here for the rest of the year and hopefully many more years so I would have liked to have my circumstances counted.

, had to sign a different form and don't get to fill census at all.

So it appears that there is a Census taking place before the official Census of the people who won't be in the country on the night of the 10th?
What happens if you cancel your plans to be away, you have not been given the official form and failure to complete could lead to a fine.

Back