approx. 700 mile pw commute - advisable?

Caveat

A family member is considering this. Currently coming up to 60K miles on an 04 Micra. The commute will mean 33K + mileage per year.

The advantages are being able to leave the house later, being home earlier and obviously just a more straightforward independent commute. The cost of petrol vs current transport costs will be similar enough - the main concern is the mileage on the car.

e.g., at that rate, I would imagine the car would be on it's last legs after 3 years even if well looked after - which it is AFAIK.

What does anyone think?

you'd get 200k from a decend diesel. If the roads are good (some chance!) and the car is serviced appropriately it should be fine

Hi Caveat,

It's a lot of time in a Micra. I'd recommend getting something a bit bigger and more comfortable.

you'd get 200k from a decend diesel. If the roads are good (some chance!) and the car is serviced appropriately it should be fine

Roads are good as it happens.

It's a lot of time in a Micra.

It is, but I don't think getting a larger car is really an option. I think comfort is secondary for them really - it's the longevity of the car that's the main thing as far as I can see.

Put simply you need a diesel car. The extra cost of a diesel car will more than pay for itself in mpg, not to mention the engine itself will last longer.

I've got a 1996 Ford Mondeo petrol engine and it has 250,000 Km on the clock and is still going well!

Caveat, my mate drove his 1999/2000 Micra and racked up in excess of 800-1000 miles week in week out - only a few months later his back was giving him serious bother. Would agree with the switch to diesel also.

Food for thought...

I relocated recently & now do 600miles pw. These roads are not good, but I'm finding it okay so far.

I cannot stress how much difference a comfortable car makes. I have a large diesel, but I had a tiny tin can rental for a week - and it was HELL.
I have never had any back problems, but my back ached from that week.

Back