07 Skoda Octavia having to top-up oil?

fredg

I have 07 Octavia TDI 1.9. I have topped up the oil on two occasions at this stage even tho the car has done only 24,000km...

people that know about engines tell me this is crazy as i shouldnt have to top up oil at all!!!!!

Basically if you are topping it up the engine must be burning it, im thinking of writing to Skoda Ireland as I am very unhappy with this situation and got very little help from the garage when i approached them about it!

Any opinions or thoughts please

thanks

when you say very little help, do you mean they would not give you the advise you needed. What exactly did they say? I thought diesel engine were every 10-12,000 miles for oil change? no?

I have heard from reliable sources that oil top-ups are necessary for Skoda Octavia cars every 12-15,000 km or so. Needing such top-ups is regarded as normal, not a fault.

I would imagine that getting the car checked out would be more useful than banging a letter off to Skoda Ireland.

if its normal then explain why.
if oil is being used then where is it going??
through the fuel??leakage??
the oil is there to lubricate the moving parts and be replaced
at the service intervals.
this car is 6k off its 1st service,and yet i've topped up twice??
its not as if im doing mad mileage.
the garage of purchace told me basically to read the manual.
v poor.its amazing the difference between sales team
and when you've a problem.
in summary,why is it necessary to top up oil in a brand new car.
i shouldnt have to put my hand on bonnet between services.
people that know alot more than me about cars agree totally with
this point of view.going to Skoda Irl is to try and get some answers as im sure they dont want bad publicity.
F

Sorry, I'm not a mechanic so I cannot provide any further explanation.

If my information is correct, your car should have been serviced after 15,000 km...

I have the same car but a 08. You need to get a service every 16,000km. Where did you hear 30,000km?

VAG PD engines (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Ford Galaxy, etc) do need oil top-ups between changes and levels need to be checked regularly, particularly for cars on flexible service intervals, option code QG1.

You also need to use the correct spec oil - check for VW certification on the tin; 505.00 or 505.01 for fixed service intervals or 506.00 or 506.01 for flexible service intervals .

BTW Porche engines also need oil top-ups between services - its not necessarily a fault as pointed out above.

30 k service on window inside car.
its because its 1st service.
nobody has told me as yet why i need to top up,
what does this engine do that all other diesel engines of friends and
family dont do?as none of them ever have to top up.
cars are Avensis diesel,audi diesel.
F

if its normal then explain why...in summary,why is it necessary to top up oil in a brand new car...
fredg - I happen to have a copy of an older (2004) Skoda owner's manual to hand, and I quote Page 175 - "It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5l/1,000 km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle. The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5,000 kilometres. One should therefore check the oil level at regular intervals, preferably every time the fuel tank is filled or after driving for long stretches..."

...i shouldnt have to put my hand on bonnet between services...people that know alot more than me about cars agree totally withthis point of view...
Could I respectfully suggest then that collectively you RTFM and save yourself the upset of writing unnecessary, pointless letters and anger?

matepac,could i respectfully request that you ans my initial
quest.dont you think that ive read the manual???
im asking WHY.
not interested in quoting the manual.i want to know WHY DO I
HAVE TO TOP UP.WHERE IS OIL GOING IF IT NEEDS REPLACING????
read question pls.ive had all the read manual from garage.

Maybe can't directly and conclusively answer your question Fred but my understanding is:

Oil combusts.

A new car's first couple of fills of oil may be used more rapidly than subsequent changes as the engine "settles in"

"Thin" oil needs to be topped up more frequently than heavier oil as it combusts more rapidly.

All of the above may apply to you?

fredg, your last post is downright rude and I believe it breaches posting guidelines.
I read your original post carefully and this is the portion that I responded to twice above.
...Any opinions or thoughts please...
Nowhere in that post does your "Why" or "Where" question appear.

I'd be changing the oil more often than every 30k if you like having a car!
Hate to be the next owner....

caveat.
thanks for at least reading my request.
the top range of oil is put in every time.
€23 per L.
im taking this further i think.

Recall an Opel Zaffy 2.0 DTI owner who complained about having to add a litre of oil every 5000km.

Reply from Opel was that this was 'within specification'

It seems that this burn rate is normal with synthetic oils

thanks olddog.
im probally banging my head against a wall.
def wont be buying another skoda

The car was supposed to be serviced at 15000 km. The garage should have told you this. This happens to most new diesel cars, even Toyota's. The garage should have informed you to keep an eye on the oil level. Judging by the rude, ignorant responses that you have given on this forum, I am not surprised that the garage had no time for you. Maybe if you had listened to the garage then you would have realized that the car should have had it first service already. I don't think that Skoda will be too upset losing you as a customer!

Back