Husband redundant and my employer going bust

Re: Advice

Hi Eagle

I have to concur with others' recommendations to look for a job now rather than hang on until you get a redundancy package.

Having been in a similar boat myself where I was made redundant and a few months later my wife was facing an uncertain future, I can appreciate the stress you are going through. I was lucky enough to find employment 6 months later but it was a worrying time. However, looking back I see some positive sides. It forced me to focus on where and what I wanted from my career and what type of job I wanted. Plus I got to watch all of the World Cup in peace without having to take time off work<g>

So try and take the opportunity to figure out what you want to do with your career;
Do you want to work for another company in the same role?
Do you want to work in a different role? If so how can you achieve that?
Is it an opportunity to use some of your skills to start your own company/be self employed?

Try not to panic. Take a good hard look at your finances. See what you can and cannot afford and budget accordingly. If the worse comes to the worse, be sure to inform your lending agency early of your predicament and perhaps review your SSIAs as previously outlined by Brendan.

Best of luck

C

Plus I got to watch all of the World Cup in peace without having to take time off work<g>

Me too! I also got married but that's another story... ;)

I also got married but that's another story

Well I was also changing nappies for my 2 week old son at the same time ..:eek

Eagle

When I suggested you should hang on, I was suggesting that you should hang on and not leave without a job. It would, of course, be better to find a new secure job.

If you start looking now, you can see what the job market is like. You just might get your timing right and get a new secure job and a redundancy payment.

Clarification on Redundancy Payments

Confused ..... if the company does not close down - but lets say half the staff go - who pays the redundancy? In my case with 10 years service I will be entitled to about €10k - but the company will def. not be in a position to pay this. Will the government pay if even if the company is still trading?

Re: Clarification on Redundancy Payments

In my case with 10 years service I will be entitled to about €10k - but the company will def. not be in a position to pay this.

Assuming that the figure you quote is the minimum statuatory redundany, this will become a debt due to you from the company when they make you redundant. You (& your colleagues) will be able to pursue this debt just like any other debtor - you may be able to push the company into receivership if they don't have the funds to meet the debt.

I would imagine that the Directors would be running risks of prosecution for reckless trading if they were to continue to trade while ignoring debts due to staff for statuatory redundancy.

Redundancy

Thanks Rainyday - your reply makes me think that I could escape 'the chop' - as I am one of the longest here and therefore one of the most expensive to let go.

Eagle,

Have you contacted MABS as suggested? they could give alot of assistance to you in this situation.
Has your husband signed on for Unemployment Benefit?
Contact Dept. of Soc. and Family Affairs seeking a "Contribution Record" in regard to yourself. This is to make sure your employer has paid PRSI up to date. Otherwise claims may be difficult or prolonged. Do you have loan repayment protection insurance on your mortgage? This is very important to establish NOW. As the procedure to be followed must be adheared to. If you are made redundant aswell you may be entitled to assistance from your local Community Welfare Officer (CWO) who is located through your Health Board and not Social Welfare.
consider setting up a new bank account for all your "essential payments" to be made through. Know how much this account needs each week/month and then make sure the amount is paid into that account. When you first do your budget everything will seem "essential", so here's a rule of thumb I use: Complete the budget (see MABS site) then going through each item ask "what is the worse that can happen if I don't make this payment? Can I live with that consequence?"
I strongly suggest contacting your local MABS office at your earliest convenience.

What colour is your parachute?

Hi Eagle

Have you heard of the above book?

It's aimed at people who have either lost their job or are thinking of changing jobs. It contains a lot of very practical advice and should be available from most large bookstores, and possibly your local library.

While it's written by an American and some of the advice relates specifically to the American job market, the general principles and approach can be used by just about anyone.

I hope everything works out for you and your husband.

Regards
Homer

Book

Someone else mentioned that book to me last week - must get my hands on a copy!

DDay tomorrow

Looks like tomorrow is DDay. What questions do I need to have at the ready - what should I be pushing for?

Re: DDay

OK - sorry to hear that - I know what it feels like! You should definitely read up on you statutory entitlements as outlined in the various links I posted earlier in this topic and go into any meeting with a reasonable understanding of these (print stuff out if neccessary). After that, unless there is some sort of collective bargaining (unionised or ad-hoc) involved in getting some sort of deal for all employees then it's basically up to you to push for the best deal for you personally I suppose. Is the company in a position to pay statutory and/or additional redundancy benefits? Have they designed a package for all employees? It's hard to know what to advise in this situation other than aim as high as the circumstances are likely to allow you. Apart from your statutory entitlements you could ask for money, payment in lieu (e.g. office/computer equipment etc.), time/resources to allow you look for a new job etc. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Notice

I presume as well as statutory redundancy they have to pay me notice?

Re: Notice

Redundancy and notice are separate but there are statutory rights in both cases (explained by the links/sites I posted earlier - check the OASIS and DETE sites). Statutory entitlements are pretty basic so if at all possible try and negotiate for more than these if there is any chance of the company being able to pay. Your contract of employment should also specify a notice period (which may be longer, but cannot be less, than the statutory period) for which you should be paid in lieu. If the company is going to liquidate then things may get a bit sticky and they may not be in a position to pay some or all of your staturory or other entitlements. However the DETE have a scheme for paying (possibly partial) statutory redundancy in the case of a company not being able to meet their obligations in this respect otherwise. If in doubt about yor statutory entitlements call or email the DETE Employment Rights section and they will probably be able to appriase you of your rights. They are very helpful! Hope this helps.

Back