Redundancy/Lay Off Situation

E

Eagle

I've started a new heading on this one ....

On Friday afternoon myself and 6 others were told that we were being laid off for a 4 week period and that it is not a redundancy situation. We will be told in 4 weeks whether they are actually making us redundant. We left the office without salary for the first two weeks of the month ..... which we are told will be paid as usual on pay day. If we are being made redundant it will be two weeks after that - and no confirmation was given that notice and holidays etc will be paid [as we are just being laid off!]. I imagine they do not have the money to pay redundancy right now and are stalling in the hope that some of us will get jobs in the 4 week period whereby no redundancy will be payable.

What do I need to watch out for - they have taken advice but it's obviously all to cover their point of view. I don't imagine they have done anything illegal but who knows?

The only thing I know about lay off time is how it affects statutory redundancy entitlements. covers this in summary. If you are concerned about your situation and entitlements then I would strongly urge you to contact the DETE Employment Rights section and ask them for advice. They are very helpful and reponsive in my experience. Hope this helps.

Redundancy

I have worked for just over two years in current job. If I am made redundant, do I get two months salary as redundancy on top of a months notice, or just two months salary. All of this I think is tax free. Any replies appreciated.

Re: Redundancy

You can use the [broken link removed] to calculate your statutory redundancy entitlements which are basically two weeks salary for each year of service plus one week - i.e. five weeks in your case. This link summarises the tax treatment of redundancy payments. See also . Any other payments in lieu of notice or accrued leave not yet taken are treated as normal salary from a tax point of view as far as I know. If you are subsequently unemployed then you may be able to obtain a as your unused tax credits accrue while you are not earning or only in receipt of [broken link removed] or other taxable welfare payments. Hope this helps.

Redundancy/Lay off

Sorry to here about your lay off.
A couple of things to look out for;
1. Min. notice acts.
Depending on your service the co. must respect your min. notice period. And if they want to make you redundant before that must pay in lue of notice (PILON) .
This has nothing to do with your redundancy payments.
2. Ensure that they pay for all outstanding holiday entitlements. this is also a seperate payment.
3. If they drag out the temp. lay off period them you can apply to be made redundanct. Don't know the exact time line here, but it's also the law.
4. If they are only paying "stat" then it a straight foward calculation using the links in other reply. However if they will consider an ex gratia payment on top of "stat" you need to talk to them in a clam and objective way to get the best possible deal for your self.
5. You getting aonther job has nothing to do with this process whatso ever.
Slan
Patrick

Redundancy/Lay Off

I was told at 4.45pm on Friday that I was being laid off for 4 weeks. They said that it was not a redundancy situation. Six others in same position. They gave us no indication of what we should do next - I've found out that some of the lads signed on immediately on Monday - should I do the same or will it affect my redundancy - they are the type of company that will try to catch us out so I want to do everything by the book and not jeopardise my redundancy payment.

Redundancy/Lay Off

If it is not a redundancy situation, then I would demand wages for the 4 weeks, regardless of whether they wanted me to work the 4 weeks or not.

I'd be careful that they aren't trying to 'constructively dismiss' you... i.e. testing your patience so much so that it leaves you with no other alternative but to leave the company and seek other employment.

The following document, covering the 'Payment of Wages Act, 1991' outlines your entitlements when it comes to wages:
www.entemp.ie/erir/paywgbk.pdf

Page 23, 'Deficiency in or non-payment of wages - section 5(6)', may be of particular interest to you.

goodluck.

-soc

Back