Wear & Tear Allowances - confused - what exactly can be claimed?

Ash21

Reading a recent post here and other posts, and reviewing the vague information on Revenue, what are people claiming for and is there anything I should be that I am not?

I currently claim for:
  • Appliances
  • Furniture
  • Curtains and blinds
  • Pictures, mirrors, lampshades and other ornaments used to decorate
  • Kitchen utensils

I am not claiming for:
  • Fitted kitchen
  • Carpets, tiles or wooden flooring
  • Central Heating including boiler
  • Shower cubicle, shower doors etc.; thought they were fixtures

It seems to me, items I am not claiming for are probably the most expensive and if included would help my ever increasing tax bill, which we cant really afford.

It would be great to have a definitive list. I am beginning to wonder if I'm being eejit not claiming for some of these items. I am also beginning to wonder how will I treat the shower cubicle and boiler when they need replacing, which I know will happen soon. These wont be enhancements just replacements/repairs?

Reading a recent post here and other posts, and reviewing the vague information on Revenue, what are people claiming for and is there anything I should be that I am not?

I currently claim for:
  • Appliances
  • Furniture
  • Curtains and blinds
  • Pictures, mirrors, lampshades and other ornaments used to decorate
  • Kitchen utensils

I am not claiming for:
  • Fitted kitchen
  • Carpets, tiles or wooden flooring
  • Central Heating including boiler
  • Shower cubicle, shower doors etc.; thought they were fixtures

It seems to me, items I am not claiming for are probably the most expensive and if included would help my ever increasing tax bill, which we cant really afford.

It would be great to have a definitive list. I am beginning to wonder if I'm being eejit not claiming for some of these items. I am also beginning to wonder how will I treat the shower cubicle and boiler when they need replacing, which I know will happen soon. These wont be enhancements just replacements/repairs?

I think you're probably bang on there.

Don't agree in relation to the carpets, they need replacing quite regularly.

And I put down tiles in a kitchen and hall a couple of years ago to replace damaged lino and my accountant said that was a repair. But I've never put down the bathroom fittings as W&T, they are part of the fabric of the building, but then again, I had a broken toilet bowl removed this year (a crack) so I think that's going to be a repair as well (won't know until next year)

Don't agree in relation to the carpets, they need replacing quite regularly.

And I put down tiles in a kitchen and hall a couple of years ago to replace damaged lino and my accountant said that was a repair. But I've never put down the bathroom fittings as W&T, they are part of the fabric of the building, but then again, I had a broken toilet bowl removed this year (a crack) so I think that's going to be a repair as well (won't know until next year)

I think you've misread the OP Bronte! What you've said tallies with the OP, but you're disagreeing... :p

Back