Do commercial water rates attach to the property being purchased?

Yellow Belly

I am looking at purchasing a commercial property at the moment and there are currently commercial rates & water rates outstanding. The vendor has agreed to clear the outstanding rates but is adamant that the water rates do not attach to the property & that the local authority/Irish Water will pursue him if we complete the sale. His contention is that water is now a utility (like ESB) and that they will have to connect me as the "new" property owner but I am afraid that they will pursue me (through attachment to the property)- am I correct on this?

Anyone any knowledge on whether outstanding water rates attach to a building as part of a sale? Or is it like ESB where I can submit my reading and am billed for only my useage on taking control of the property?

Water rates do not attach to a commercial property.

During the Celtic Tiger period (when there were not that many insolvencies) some conveyancing solicitors incorrectly thought that water rates did attach to a commercial property. However, I would think that every conveyancing solicitor now knows that they do not.

Jim Stafford

Back